Herpes Community
Positive for cold sores?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Positive for cold sores?

I've just took a herpes blood test and just got my results back on the 3rd. The nurse who red me my results told me I tested positive for cold sores but not herpes? So does this mean I tested positive for hsv1 but not hsv2? The nurse didn't really seem to concerned and didn't provide any medication to help contain the virus or anything like that, so I'm concerned on how serious this is. I haven't been sexually active for about a month and the last unprotected exposer I had was the 26th of April and have been worried about contracting herpes ever since. I never had a cold sore or anything that looked like herpes on my mouth or genitals so I'm wanting to know how accurate these blood test are. I just need to know how to not spread this virus and didn't get any information from the nurse who have me my results. I have been trying to get back into a relationship with my previous girlfriend and told her last night that I tested positive for cold sores. She lives states away and we haven't had any sexual contact for a few months but I plan on seeing her this weekend. She still decided to see me which I'm grateful for but I just don't want to pass anything to her if anything happens and need to know what to do to keep it with just me. Also when will the lesions/cold sores appear? I've been on here before and talked about pricks tingles I have had around my mouth neck legs and body so at the time I thought it was the first symptoms but have not had any bumps appear. Any help would be great. Thanks
Hi, the nurse doesnot seem to know much about herpes. A lip cold sore is herpes and very most often its hsv1 contracted at childhood. Its estimated that upward of 65% of the adult population would test positive and never have outbreaks. Since your sexually active, it may be hsv1 genital as blood tests dont say where only a swab of a sore would confirm location. But as it stands its must be oral.
Since your girl friend also tests positive for hsv1 you cant give it back to eachother and having oral sex the odds of passing it genital are close to zero if possible at all as you both have antibodies to help prevent it (assuming its an old infection.
Thanks for the comment but let me say that my ex never tested positive for herpes. We broke up awhile ago and have been active with others since. So that's why I wanted to know how to keep it from spreading to her. I also noticed a slight warm feeling around my testicles and concerned I have hsv1 on the genitals now. I read burning is a sign but the feeling is not painful and usually goes away when I stand up. I only notice it when I'm seating at work but not when I'm sitting at home? So idk I apologize for the stupid questions. I just don't know what to do
Bottom line is that if a person has hsv1 oral or genital and does not want to pass it to someone, the person they want to be with must confirm their herpes status. If she has it she cant catch it again and if a person has it in one area, getting the same hsv in another area is next to impossible if possible at all.
Most that get the same herpes in different locations got it at the same time.
I hope this answers your questions.
Well I mean she told me last night she tested negative whenever she took her test and a month ago I tested negative too but just recently I had the positive for cold sores. So I just want to know what should I do to prevent this from spreading through sexual contact. I know condoms are a must and what about oral? Can I give it and can I receive it with out a condom? Could I pass this through kissing? Should I get tested again just to confirm? Thanks for your help btw
If you have hsv1 oral and have never had an outbreak the risk of passing it from hard kissing or oral sex is quite low as shedding does not occur that often. It sheds like about 3% of the time which is very low. Its most likely oral not genital. What was your test number as maybe a false positive since youve never had an outbreak.
That's the thing I didn't get to view my results. The nurse pretty much told me I tested positive for cold sores and sent me on my way pretty much. I'm trying to get ahold of the office now but always seem to get voicemail but the only reason why I suggest to get retested is because I've seen three doctors and one of which told me the blood test are bogus and can't give a accurate result without a open sore present and another whom I worked with for about a month told me he didn't think I had it. Once I get the test in my hand I will post the number
Blood tests can be 95% accurate but lets keep our fingers crossed it falls into the low positive range.
I appreciate the help and yeah let's hope it's the chance it was a fails negative. I'm not to worried about it happening to me, I've made my choices and can live with them. I'm just scared of passing it to others. I regret telling the girl I'm trying to get into a relationship with but I felt it was the right thing to do. Only thing that sucks is they way she'll think of me but anyways how can one tell if you had a false positive?
Your putting the cart before the horse and you dont understand what this might be. Ifyour positive for hsv1 oral and never had an outbreak you very well contracted this at childhood as did the other 65% of the population. Its almost a normal thing to have and from what your saying she has it to from childhood.

A false positive is a number that falls into a range. So if your test says anything above 1 is positive any number below 3 would be considered a false positive or a recent infection as most with long term herpes numbers are well above 5 and most labs stop at 5.
I apologize if I said the wrong info in the post but I talked to her and she said when she tested she tested negative. I also tested negative a month ago so this has to be something I just contracted... Right? I'm not worried for my sake but for the sake of otheres. And if this is a real possitive.... What are the things I can do to keep this away from anyone who does not have the virus?
Find out the test results numbers. If its a low positive that also means recent infection. Positive for cold sores but not herpes makes no sense.
That's why I was confused when she told me that. I'll check the results but last question, if this is a recent infection from maybe 1 to 2 months ago when should I see sores? I just feel like I'm waiting for them to come anyday  
normal is 3 to 13 days but many never have outbreaks. Often with a recent infection, esp hsv 2 genital there is a fever and body aches as the immune system is mounting a defense building antibodies.
Well I haven't had the fever and body aches with hav2 then and I guess I'm passed the normal stage of seeing sores then? Well thanks for the help and the info
Well I got my results on paper and it shows me to be at a 5 for hsv1. So I guess I always had it then and didn't get it two months ago? Could a herpes blood test give a false positive if I was in the doctor for a sore throat when I got tested?  
Just a few thoughts.

The nurse didn't do a bad job in my view. They were right, you have what the community knows as cold sores and it would be extremely likely that you have had an oral infection since your youth. Technically it is a herpes strain, but that's just a word and doesn't deserve the stigma associated with the word herpes.

Neither does HSV2 for that matter, yet there is much more emotion around that and I understand that and each individual needs to navigate what they feel is right for them in terms of living with the virus if they have it or being sexually active and being exposed to the risk of infection if they don't.

It is not a certainty that your partner was tested for herpes, it is typically not an automatic part of STD testing.

Bottom line, you have HSV1, the blood test is extremely accurate as a firm positive >5 result (blood tests are good regardless of outbreaks or not). You have in all likelihood had the virus since your youth. You do not need medication, your body deals amply well with the virus. There is a low chance that you can infect sexual partners orally or genitally. Avoid any contact with the mouth area should you have an outbreak. In the highly likely event that a partner has HSV1 also, then the two of you are as safe from further infection as you can be.
Thanks for your post fleetwood. But like I said I'm trying to get back with my ex and she feels really negative about the whole thing and I did explain to her that I could have gotten it before her but still she sees me as differently now. I also want to say that I just noticed a whit dot on the upper part of my gum that doesn't hurt but is noticible with a light on it. Is this a outbreak starting? And also do you have any advice on what to tell a potential partner? Like not just to sleep with but to actually want to stay in a relationship with me? I feel like this will be hard for most people not infected to understand and see me different like my ex does know after I told her
How does your ex know she doesn't have the virus from her own youth??

No I doubt the gum sore is herpes related. For people with an established infection lesions inside the mouth are incredibly uncommon.
I don't know, that's what I told her and she said that she was tested. I was tested before too and blood test came up negative in march of this year I think and told her that so she thinks I just got the virus. Yeah about the sore in the mouth I mellowed out and it looks like a canker sore
Testing for STDs almost always does not include herpes. When someone say they tested negative for everything, it usually means HIV, Syph, Gon, Chlam and Hepatitis only - a long cry from everything!
Yeah I think I had to ask for a specific one when I got tested but I remember her saying she had a cold sore when she was younger and makes me mad when she judges me now. I'm not scared of this virus anymore and accepted that a sore will come up someday but what should I do to jeep it from spreading? Like if I only had a sore present that's the greatest chance to pass it  on? And a sore oral or genital
If she is worth pursuing, get on the phone and tell her 'Look, we are crazy if we don't look into working things out, I really care for you and my feelings are strong. HSV1 is an insignificant virus that doesn't deserve to get in the way of any aspect of anyone's life. If you have had a cold sore in the past then it is likely you have HSV1 and will for life. Please obtain an IgG antibody test for HSV1 as if we both have it, we are highly compatible and can focus on the real things that make us a couple.'
Dang fleet that's what's up. I plan on seeing her this weekend she lives states away from me so I will talk to her when I see her and if she can't get over this then maybe she's not the one for me but I really appreciate you and life360 taking the time to talk with me. Y'all's info help a bunch
You have nothing to lose. Go in with passion and say what is on your mind. It isn't anger, its just being passionate, firm and decisive about what you want in life. Most people respect, admire that... quite a few are attracted to it as well. Tell her exactly how you feel about her, the nice stuff. Give her a chance to retract from the position she has taken. If it is worth having a future with her as you say, she will come around. If not, you won't die wondering.
I'll try but it's tough. I know all she is thinking about is me passing this on to her but hopefully she'll see that I'm still me
I have another question... The day I went in for the igG blood test I was having problems with having a sore throat it was res and my tonsils looked swollen and I developed what looked like two white dots in the back of my throat. My doc said those were there to fight the infection in my throat so what I'm asking... Is there a chance or is it possible that the test came up positive for this reason? My sore throat
No your sore throat is unrelated to HSV1 and its testing.

Be strong... remind her that she may already have the virus, an absence of cold sores in living memory does not mean one doesn't have the virus. I think you said she has had them in the past (she could have already given it to you! I don't really think that, but suggest it).

If for some reason she doesn't have HSV1, then what is she gonna do huh? Restrict herself to the 1/3 of guys who don't have oral HSV1? If it isn't you, it will be someone else with oral HSV1.
Thanks for your advise! The week went great when I saw he and she didn't seem to care that I had hsv1. So that's a big strain off my back. I would have sent this earlier but just got back into my home town. I would just like to ask if there is a way if can prevent a cold sore from appearing? Last night I felt a tingl three times on one/same spot on my lip. I felt another tingle today and I feel like this is what I read when ppl talk about the tingling. Can I do anything to prevent the sore from appearing? Or do I just have to wait for it to appear then use products to heal it? What can I use over the counter or home remedies to prevent/heal
Isn't that fabulous news, I'm very happy for you!

The best thing you can do is keep stress to a minimum in the first instance. Lots of water, healthy food, exercise and sleep. Do this and most of the time cold sores won't stand a chance.

Some people find applying antiviral and other creams helpful, but I'm not so sure about this. Won't hurt to try. I'd only suggest antiviral tablets if things are quite bad, otherwise I believe your body is better for dealing with cold sores on its own.
cool Ill try that then. also is it possible to feel the tingles around the mouth but not get any sores? I only ask because those tingles I felt went away and I didn't get any sores? I feel like im going crazy always wondering when they are going to appear. Also another question does hsv involve clear discharge form the penis? Or could that be something unrelated?
Little tingles are probably nothing to do with herpes. I find the tingle preceding an outbreak is a little more constant, feels like it radiates from the area that the blisters appear shortly after, often before you know it.

You do not have genital herpes so the discharge is unrelated. If it is clear, it may be natural mucous.