Possible Accidental Exposure
About 2 hours after having oral sex, I noticed the beginnings of an outbreak of my oral HSV-1. I'm concerned about the possibility I transmitted this to my girlfriend. I am a very careful person and before sex checked to make sure I didn't have any new outbreak. How likely is it that my HSV-1 was in it's prodromal phase and I wasn't aware of it and passed it on to her? Is this a common way of contracting herpes (which is to say, exposure when the person with herpes is not aware of their upcoming outbreak)?

Thank you!
Well, hate to say this but you could have transmitted it to her if she doesn't have HSV1 already. Chances are she does and either knows about it or doesn't or if she doesn't, she MAY now. You were very primed  to pass it on to her. It takes a long time for the virus to go from your back where the nerve ganglion is up toward your face so yes, you were shedding the virus while you were with her. If you gave her oral sex, she may contract HSV1 genitally. It's not a popular place to get HSV1 but times are changing and there are more and more cases every year of this. I think you need to give her a call and let her know since she has a right to know.. There is a good chance you didn't give it to her either but the only way to know is to wait a few weeks and see if she starts developing symptoms.
has your gf ever been tested to know her own herpes status?

grace
She knows, I told her as soon as I noticed. I actually can't remember if she's been tested for it or not, she says she doesn't have it, but I think she has just never had a cold sore. The thing is, she's not very careful about it when I have a cold sore (kissing, sharing drinks, etc) and has never gotten one orally, so maybe she does have it. I'll have to ask her.

I'm always really careful, I'm not sure how I could have been more careful. I've gotten cold sores all of my life and am pretty adjusted to knowing when one is coming, but this one came out of nowhere. Any suggestions on how to avoid this in the future?