Herpes Expert Forum
Possible HSV1 or HSV2 infection

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Possible HSV1 or HSV2 infection

Let me give you a brief history of my ordeal the past two months.  On July 4th I had too much to drink and ended up in the bed of an individual who I now know has HSV1 orally and HSV2 genitally.  The problem is we both do not remember having any contact but my symptoms show otherwise.

On July 7th, I woke up and felt a stinging type pain on the corona of my penis and discovered a red line/mark running down the skin fold.  Since then, the red dot is still apparent but more flesh colored almost 2 months after.  I had what looked like a simple rash and small bumps around the entirety of the corona during this 2 month period as well.  I have also had small dry, red patches, of skin on the 'cut' area of my penis as I am circumcised.

I have used nystatin, clotrimazole, and hydrocortisone on the rash as they thought it was balanitis.  Last diagnosis was that accutane had tried my penis and to use protopic which I am currently doing.  Thought this doesn't make sense because of the pain associated (sore testicles, leg pains, skin sensitivity)

I have been to 3 derms and probably 4 doctors who all said this was not herpes upon visual inspection (no blisters, no fluid).  I had a test a 5 weeks which showed negative for 1 and 2 with .11 readings for both in Herpeselect test.  However, I believe I had my first coldsore on my mouth during that time and it did not show up in the test making feel it was inaccurate.  Though it could have been a pimple as I did pop it and initially a small white strand came out, but then only clear liquid, which crusted over (thought I did use hydrogen peroxide on it).  Doctors saw this and said it was a cold sore.

Since i believe I had a cold sore, can HSV-1 be contracted genitally and orally at the same exposure?  Would this be more likely since I believe I had a cold sore?  Is a 5 week test too early?  Should I be able to feel those lymph nodes (I am skinny)?

Thank you.

Your description of the cold sore doesn't fit how I normally see cold sores.  Did anyone take a swab test form the sore to determine if it was a cold sore or not?  That would certainly have been helpful in trying to sort all of this out.

So far, I would believe that you don't have oral or genital herpes, as you've been told by seven doctors.  If you want to you, you can retest 4 months from the encounter and perhaps this time, by western blot as it is a little more sensitive for HSV 1 than the traditional type specific antibody test.

Terri
Sorry for no explanation regarding lymph nodes.  I can feel two pea size, rubbery lymph nodes in both sides of my groin.  I am imagining this cannot be caused purely because of my own anxiety.  I am skinny and muscular so I don't know if that's why I might be able to feel them.  They do not hurt.
Terri,

No one swabbed the sore, they just looked at it.  They gave me valtrex and said I probably got it from stressing over my rash and told me I probably had it all my life.  Well, since the 5 month test showed I was HSV1 negative, I couldn't have had it all my life.  If it was a cold sore, I believe it was as my lip was very swollen, it should have shown up.

Hypothetically let's say it was a cold sore on my lip.  Would you be more inclined to say that if I did contract herpes it genitally it is probably HSV1?  Meaning it was more likely for the original 'giver' to be shedding from one area only (mouth), rather then shedding HSV1 and HSV2 at the same time.  She had no outbreaks at the time as I have spoken with her since.  She clearly didn't have any sores on her lip.

While the 7 doctors all said I didn't have genital herpes, they usually just stated they though it wasn't.  It is not the classic symptoms on the skin, but the pain in my legs and sensitive skin areas are not imagined.  Just to clarify, it is not normal to feel a small lymph node on either side of the groin right?  That is the one thing that scares me is that I can feel them.  They are not visible but I can easily feel with my fingers.
Sorry, the above should state a 5 week test, not 5 month.  I have scheduled for another test at Planned Parenthood.  Do they use Western Blot testing and or can I request it?  Also, can you swab a sore if there is no liquid present?

Thank you for your time and advice.
I don't think that Planned Parenthood normally uses western blot, no.  I don't know if they can order it or not.  It would not be useful to swab an area without some sort of symptoms present, no.  Lymph nodes in the groin can be enlarged for many reasons, including toe hangnail.  It is hard to say what that might mean.

Terri