Herpes Community
Possible HSV1&2 - just looking for support

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Good morning community. I just want to say a big thank you to everyone on this board - I've probably read through hundreds of posts since yesterday after getting a call from my doctor's office.

I was in a long term relationship for 3.5 years through April 2010. After that, I had a brief relationship (about 3-4 months) with a friend of mine. Huge mistake - we were great friends, but as bf/gf we just weren't compatible. From our conversations we had before becoming intimate, we had both been tested, in monogamous relationships, minimal risk, etc. During that relationship, we had heard a rumor that an ex of his may have been exposed to HSV2 and I insisted that we get tested. He said "I've never had a breakout, so I don't have herpes." I said I didn't care, that I was going to go get tested and he should too. That was in July of 2010. I went to my gyno and had the full workup. Everything came back negative. (I've also called that gyno's office this week just to double check what they screened and that the tests were negative. I know we did a big ol' blood draw. Waiting for a call back because I haven't been a patient there in 3 years so my file has been archived - they said they should have it next week). After a ton of drama I decided the relationship just wasn't for me and I ended things.

In September of 2010 I met the guy I would date for the next 2.5 years. We had the same discussion - "I've been tested, have you?" And we both said "yes, negative across the board." Things were great. We used condoms for the first 3 months or so. I was on the pill, we discussed contraception and decided that me being on the pill was enough. We moved in together, and life was grand. I thought I had met "the one." No issues with my 2010 annual gyno visit.

No issues when I went for my annual in March 2011. But now that I called and had that office double check my file, they only did a pap smear.

No issues when I went for my annual in May 2012. When I called my current doc's office to double check my file, they said they didn't screen me for HSV1&2. I could have sworn they did a blood draw that day, but the said they only did my pap, and ran cultures for gonorrhea and chlamydia.

So fast forward to January of 2013 when it seems like the relationship is headed downhill. We're bickering a lot, we don't seem to enjoy one another's company as much. We take a vacation together, didn't really enjoy ourselves. My grandmother passed away unexpectedly and the first half of February was very stressful, making arrangements, preparing for her memorial etc. My bf wasn't very emotional supportive during that time. The first week of March we have an argument and he decides he's moving out. Broke my heart. I asked if there was any cheating that was going on. He said no. I don't think he would lie about infidelity.

I'm went to the gyno for peace of mind for a full STD screening. My cultures, syphilis test, HIV all come back negative. But then the nurse then says "you're positive for HSV1 and HSV2. Have you ever had a cold sore or an outbreak?" I have never experienced any symptoms ever - no cold sores, blisters, ulcers burning during urination, itching, tingling, pain in the genital area, odd back/muscle aches, flu-like symptoms, swollen lymph nodes. And in 2.5 years I never saw any blisters, sores, ulcers, cold sores on my boyfriend's mouth or genital area either. Just a note, I am a complete hypochondriac when it comes to anything going on in my genital area. My previous gyno used to laugh at me coming in for everything, but said it was the right thing to do, that I was just being responsible. The last three months have been the most stressful of my life - my mom was unemployed and I took on a lot of her financial burdens, I transitioned to a more stressful position at work, my grandmother passes away, my grandfather is suffering from dementia, my boyfriend breaks up with me, moves out, etc. I haven't slept right, ate right in weeks. This sounds like it would be the recipe for an outbreak - but I've never had one ever. I asked the nurse if I could repeat the test to double check, could there possibly be a mistake. She said "No, there's no reason. The antibodies are in your system. You have it." She made a follow up appointment and told me to come in to see the doctor, discuss my results, and he would get me suppression meds ASAP. In shock, I agreed. After googling and reading messages on this board, I found out about the different types of tests for HSV1&2. I called the nurse back and asked her what type of test they used, she was very cold and sounded like I was inconveniencing her with my questions - great bedside manner, right?. She said the igg test. I asked for the values from the test. She again said "It doesn't matter what the values are. You tested positive." I said "There should be values." She said "No, with this test you only get positive and negative results. Your results are positive. You can come in on Tuesday and ask the doctor all the questions you want." I was so frustrated because the nurse was so dismissive. You would think there would be a degree of sensitivity when delivering this kind of news. Or that they might suggest a second HSV test to double check the results.

After reading some more on this board, I reached out to the Westover Heights Clinic and spoke with Terri Warren. We had a quick phone consult, and she *listened* to me - thank goodness, someone who heard me out, let me talk, and completely understood how emotional I was to get this news. She said that I tested positive for HSV1 may have skewed my HSV2 results a bit. She asked if I had the numbers from my igg test. I explained the situation with the nurse. She offered to call my lab and ask for the results, but did note that some brands of tests only give the positive/negative result vs. the actual values. My last sexual encounter with my ex was about 8 weeks ago, but I've been with him for the last 2.5 years. We agreed to send me for the WB test, with the knowledge that I may need to redo the test in another 8 weeks. I have an appointment on Saturday for the WB test.

I'm frustrated with the knowledge that false positives are possible. I feel sorry for anyone else in this boat that has to test, retest, and wait this out. I know it's very possible that I could be "asymptomatic" and carrying the virus. But is it possible that after being together 2.5 years neither of us ever showed symptoms and were both "asymptomatic?"

I've decided to see what my WB results are before calling my ex. I don't see a point to causing all kinds of alarm/stress if this is a possible false positive.

If the WB comes back positive is that a definitive yes? Or should I retest at the 16 week mark (8 weeks from now) and see what those results are?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach the subject with my ex if the results are indeed positive? I'm trying to not put the cart before the horse, but I am also trying to prepare myself. I imagine he will not take well to this news, especially with neither of us ever having symptoms. I now know we should have discussed the extent of our STD testing when we first started dating. For all I know his extent for STD testing was just the q-tip test, and no blood screening. I didn't even realize that if you don't specifically *ASK* for a HSV1&2 screen, it's not included in STD screening. I guess most of us are learning the hard way.

Any advice is appreciated. I've only talked to one close friend and my sister about what's going on. I'm trying to not isolate myself but I don't exactly want to shout from the rooftop that I'm dealing with this right now. With everything else going on I've also setup an appointment with a psychologist to help work through this.
Update: I had called my Primary Care Physician yesterday (prior to my call with Terri Warren) to see if he could write the orders for the WB test. Quest requires a doctor's orders to do the WB test. My PCP's nurse finally called me back today and said that the only way the doctor said he could treat me or send me for additional testing would be if I was actually experiencing lesions right now.

The amount of ignorance surrounded HSV1&2 is blowing my mind. Added to the list: look for a new PCP asap.
Hi, I read your post and I am no expert, only know what I gave been reading on these posts and Internet. I am responding for support. I can understand your frustration with your healthcare provider. My Gyno 's knowledge on herpes was not what I have read about and they do tend to dismiss our feelings on dealing with if we have this or not. I have been waiting for 4 months to find out if I have this and when I finally got my 16 week test it comes in at equivocal , so now I have to wait another month , it is pure torture. I was diagnosed with 3 BV infections since December and my last doc appt they would not do another to confirm BV gone while I still suffer with irritation down there consistently for 4 months now. Basically I was told if I had herpes I would have had sores by now, you show no sign of BV, gave me steroid ointment for irritated skin, told me to retest in a month and if no better consult a vulvar specialist. So, to sum it up, suffering for 4 months with irritation , redness, itching for 4 months now, wait another month to test again then if no better go to specialist . I was smart enough to call the specialist last month but earliest appt was end of May, so I will be in discomfort for 6 months at least. What happened to doctors caring about their patients ? It's all about the money now.... Sorry to hear that nurse treated you that way but I know what you mean. When I call that something still isn't right I am told I am not giving it enough time and a week later I am still where I was 2 months ago!  I hope everthing works out for you. I am addicted to this site and I really trust Grace and Terry's advice, they are true professionals and care more then our doctors do.
when this is all done, write a letter to your clinic and let them know how the way this was all presented to you affected you and how updating their practitioners education on herpes testing is important to their practice! Indeed the triage nurse who contacted you with results might not know diddly about herpes testing but they should have a better plan in place for helping patients with the delicate topic of herpes.

You already got the best advice out there from Terri :)  At this point, wait for your WB results and go from there. If your wb is negative, err on the side of caution and repeat it in 2 months but if positive, no reason to doubt it.

so about the ex. Well honestly, you don't really have to even tell him. The relationship is over and he's a grown adult and can find the internet pretty easy to learn about std testing if he wants to be responsible for his health.  legally you should be talking about your status with future partners if you test +, you aren't obligated to talk to past partners.  If you want to let him know just to be nice, perhaps an email would be best - let him know that you were being responsible and following up on full std testing after ending your relationship with him and found out that you have hsv2 ( if you test + for it ). Let him know that this is the first you've tested  + and it's a good idea for him to follow up with proper testing for himself to know his own status.   Refer him to this forum if he has any questions and tell him Grace will be able to help him with testing questions ( or if you prefer he not find you here potentially, just pm me and I can give you two other options for him to post to ).  If he gets defensive or abusive towards you, just ignore him, you don't need to add to your stress at all. Just let him know you were being responsible and letting him know so that he could follow up on things from his end.

hang in there - you'll have better answers too and one less stressful thing in your life :)

grace
Rainy12,
Thank you for sharing your story with me! I'm so sorry you're dealing with chronic BV infections. When I was in my early 20s (now in my early 30s) I experienced something similar. I was practically on a first name basis with my gyno and all of her nurse practitioners. I'm not sure how re resolved it, but I was beyond thankful that things settled down.

And I'm sorry to hear that your HSV test came back equivocal. That must be very frustrating. May I ask what test you took? I will keep both of us in my thoughts (fingers crossed, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts!). I keep trying to remind myself that freaking out, crying, constantly sweeping the internet for answers, etc doesn't help me much right now. That I need to try to remain calm, get the WB test done, wait for the results and then go from there. I'm trying to prepare myself that I might need to retake the WB test, so potentially I may not have a definitive answer until late May/early June. I need to put on my patience pants and take a deep breath. It's just psychologically and emotionally hard for me right now. I've been through so much since January - I just want off the roller-coaster of emotions. Hanging in the balance of "Do I really have HSV1 &2?" is making me anxious.

I was hoping to see some feedback from Grace or Terri - I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things, in the right order, with the right timing.

I was suppose to go Saturday (3/30) for my WB test, but when I arrived to Quest for the blood draw they told me that their FedEx driver doesn't pickup on Saturdays. There was also some confusion about billing. We wound up rescheduling to tomorrow morning. Deep breath in, deep breath out.

Hang in there ::hugs::
Grace,

Thank you so much for the feedback!!! Another deep breath in, another deep breath out. So positive WB is positive no matter what the timing - got it. If WB is negative, repeat in 2 months just to be sure.

I appreciate all of the advice. I'm doing my best to hang in there, but after everything that's happened in the last 3 months I feel like I'm tap dancing on the edge of what I can handle on my own. I am very glad I made the appointment with the psychologist. I'm hoping I get out of work at a relatively normal time and make it to the appointment on time.

I think I will write my doctor's office about what happened. I realize they probably deliver this news to people several times a day, but they could definitely do it in a more knowledgeable and sensitive way.

I broke down and told my mother what's going on. I've been in such a funk since the breakup, but was making strides/progress for the last few weeks. Then got the news from my gyno's office and that knocked me back down. I've been crying a lot, but using the excuse "just having a bad day mom." I think she saw through it, plus she knew that I was getting an STD screen. I was so afraid that she would be judgmental, but she somehow took all of this news in stride. She reassured me that I would be fine, and that I was doing the responsible thing - following up, getting a second test, and trying to figure out where to go from there.

I'll definitely keep you all in the loop. This has been a crazy journey. All I can do is wait for the WB results.

Thank you for "listening" - it means the world to me.

I also dealt with an extremely dismissive doctor when i asked to be screened but assured me it was all in my head and i was fine... I got negatvie hsv2 results but still howing symptoms, can someone please comment , im worried sick.

Thank you for reading my post ive been stressing for  months and am looking for some sort of answer , thank you all for reading. Im worried i have some form of herpes, it started 3 months ago when i felt burning in the urethtra which eventually passed, one week later there were several redish dots on my penis, not blisters or lesions just appeared to be dots that went away.. two months later same type of things reoccured as well as an itchy anus however both went away in about 3 days.. I decided to get an hsv2 blood test done, the results came back negative.. Ive never had any type of oral outbreaks or sores there. And one weeek ago the feeling of a sensitive scrotum, itchy eyes, and also itcy anus returned  for a few days, im worried i still have some form of herpes.. does this sound at all like genital hsv1 ? please please comment.. ive had a gf for over a year now and didnt have any risky encounters before i had whatever this is happen so im really confused
I might be getting the WB. Did you just request through your primary physician? I am going there today to ask for anxiety medication and will ask about it. Glad to hear you told your mom, they always make you feel better. My mom knows too but not all the details , I am to ashamed. Others tell me not to retest but I just have to know now, I cannot get it out of my mind. Keep us posted!
Update - my 2010 gyno's office just called me back. Despite requesting a *FULL* STD screen back in July of 2010, they did not include HSV 1&2 screening. I distinctly remember my doctor asking me "everything?" and I said "yes, everything." The nurse told me they only include that if the patient is exhibiting symptoms, and they use a culture test to check lesions vs. blood tests.

This is so disappointing and frustrating. I was hoping to have a baseline, like "well back in 2010 everything came back negative" but now I don't have that. This makes me bonkers... I thought I was being responsible, doing all the right things, making sure to get checked out between relationships, etc. So incredibly frustrating.

Healthybutworried930 - I'm sorry I can't be of much help in this matter. I'm just as confused as you are. Have you been back to your doctor and asked about the symptoms you are experiencing? Have you had other tests done besides screening for HSV 1&2?

Rainy12 - when I asked my gyno's office to repeat the test, or try a different test, their response was "the antibodies are present in your system. You have it. There's no point to re-testing." So no help there. I called my Primary Care Physician (a general practitioner) and asked for the orders to get a WB done, his nurse called me back and said they could not treat me or send me for further testing unless I was experiencing symptoms at this moment. I am not - I never have, which is why this has come as such a shock to me. I called Westover Heights Clinic and spoke with Terri Warren (phone: 503-226-6678) who put the WB order in for me. You can try asking your primary doctor to order the WB for you. If they won't or do not know what you are talking about, you can have a phone consultation with Terri Warren - just a heads up, there is a cost for phone consultation.

Another deep breath in, another deep breath out!
you'll have better answers soon and can move forward :)  In case Terri didn't already tell you, once the WB is sent, it takes 2-3 weeks on average to get results.  
Grace,

Thank you, yes Terri did advise that the results would take 2+ weeks. I'll have to put my patience pants on, and hold tight until I hear from her with the results. I appreciate all of the feedback you've been giving me. I feel so much better now that I know I'm on the right track to getting definitive answers. I can't say thank you enough!
I saw my primary physician today and he was very helpful, all his knowledge was what i have been reading. He told me if I want the WB he would write a prescription out for me, I just need to call. I gave him all my details and he said if he had to guess, he does not think I have it and my results would come back negative. He said the test at 16 weeks equivocal is negative but he understands why I would want confirmation. He also told me this is more common then we know. His guess is that one in 3 people have this and it really is not all the bad. It is just a skin condition, it is just the stigma of where it breaks out. If this was on our hand or leg, no one would think anything of it.
I am going to a new gyno tomorrow to get opinion. I will post her thought but I was impressed, he knew much more then my 2nd gyno ( yes tomorrow is # 3). I know have red blotchy spots in my inner labia ( not sure that that is!) Just one thing after another....Good luck and I will be thinking of you.

Healthybutworried,
Wish I knew more on HSV1 in genitals but from all I have read, that acts the same as HSV2 and your info according to all the posts and answers I have read does not sound like herpes ( but I am no expert!)
Thinking of you too!
All - just another update. I got the blood drawn for the WB this morning. My Quest tech didn't seem to understand exactly what she was suppose to do, so fingers crossed everything gets to University of Washington the way it's suppose to. We'll see what happens from here. Deep breath. I'm putting my patience pants on and hoping the next 2-3 weeks flies.

My primary care physician's office just called me at work to tell me that two weeks ago when I went for blood work I came up positive for herpes. Again - what is with nurses calling in the middle of the work day to give you this kind of news? I told the nurse that I'm completely in the loop on the matter, that there's a chance this is a false positive, and that I am in the middle of getting a second test done to double check.

Rainy12 - I will keep you in my thoughts! I am so glad your primary doctor was full of great information, and was willing to write the order for the WB test for you. Good luck at your gyno appointment! Keep us in the loop!

Seems like these healthcare providers do not have any sympathy , ( not all but some). Did you have to pack the sample and send yourself? I called Quest labs and they told me they only do this for Lyme disease. Now I'm not sure what to go. I'm waiting in my Gyno's office now, going to question her about it. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Please keep posting with your symptoms and how you are doing. My whole area is bright red, not  sure what is going on but glad I have a doctor appt today...
I am going through some of my own issues regarding "h" although I am just going to wait it out (16 weeks since sex) My gyn uses a test that only says neg/pos so I am seeing another Dr. at a different clinic on Thursday to see if they use an IGG with numeric value. Even though I pretty much know deep down this is "h" I have all the symptoms except for the flu/tiredness/sores. Best of luck to you and thanks for posting and UPDATING. It has been frustrating to read through posts and they all are cliffhangers......fingers crossed for you :)
3rd Gyno did another set of cultures, bacteria, yeast, herpes and also a biopsy on the red skin that is not getting better. Now i am extremely sore down there... When I gave her all the details she said if I would have herpes, using steroid ointment on it is not good. That scares me becsuse it got so red when I started using it. The biopsy was for Vulvar cancer, when I googled that all symptoms are what I have. After reading that I would rather have herpes. I called Quest and they told me they did not do the WB for herpes only Lyme disease. I got the test code off line and I will call again tomorrow and give them that. Primary doctor said he thinks If i get another IGG test it will come back so close to my last results that I will still be questioning it but he also said the IGG tests now are so senstive the results at 16 weeks should be accurate. I just keep getting more confused. I also asked the Gyno today to prescribe Valtrex to see if it alleviates my symptoms but she said to wait until other tests come back. Thinking of all of you, hugs...
Oh lady, isn't it fun being a woman? I'm not trying to make light of the situation but I got a chuckle when you stated about reading about cancer and would rather have herpes. I am not doing anymore reading/researching for the simple fact that I don't want to scare myself even more! Hang in there lady :) whatever "it" is I hope you find relief soon...*hugs*
Thanks for the support, I am trying but some days I just cannot stand not feeling normal down there. Never a day either vaginal entrance is sore or clitoris itches. Every time I go to the doctor they do not see anything abnormal on my "c" but I'm telling you something itches there and it never did before. So so frustrating. You're right, I need to stay off the Internet. I was never the type to be on looking things up until this happened. In the mood to cry today .... Thoughts are with everyone! Hugs right back at ya!
Rainy12 - I did not have to pack the sample myself. The Quest tech said she would do it for me and get it sent out. But she didn't seem too competent. She kept going through the 4 pieces of paper included with the kit so I'm a bit concerned. It seems like people aren't patient enough to READ directions anymore, so I hope she didn't botch the packing process. Fingers crosses my blood sample get where its suppose to go and is still viable. If I'm going through all of this stress and I get a call that my blood sample was ruined in transit I'm going to flip out on someone. I hope you get some answers soon - I know it can be overwhelming to get test, after test, biopsies, more tests, and then just wait for some sort of explanation for what's going on. Have you tried switching to dye and fragrance free detergent? Maybe you're having a reaction to that? If your Quest is saying they only do this test for Lyme disease, maybe you can contact the University of Washington and have them send the kit directly to you. You can ask your doctor to send you for the correct blood draw from any lab, then pack the specimen yourself and send it to University of Washington for testing.

I still am not experiencing any symptoms - which is what originally blew my mind when the nurse called me and told me "you've tested positive for HSV 1 &2." I've done some reading on asymptomatic herpes, so I understand that it absolutely a possibility, but I haven't had an ex boyfriend reach out to me with news of an outbreak, or the very recent ex bring it to my attention - and we lived together for 2.5 years. I'm pretty sure he would have told me if he was experiencing any kind of symptoms. No one in my past, including me, has experienced a cold sore outbreak either. I'm just glad I went to the internet and discovered false positives are possible.

Whiteshadowcgb - I'm sorry to hear you're going through all of this with us. It's not fun. Big hugs to all of us!!! I think if you need a second test to confirm your diagnosis, get it! Peace of mind is peace of mind, whether you're pretty convinced you've got herpes or not. I think with any diagnosis of this nature a second opinion is warranted. My gyno's office called me, said "You've got HSV 1&2" and wanted me to come to the office ASAP for a follow up with the doctor and immediately begin suppression medication. If I wouldn't have did any internet research on the topic, I never would have discovered that false positives are a possibility. I might have gone to the doc's office and began a lifelong suppression regiment that I may not even truly need. We have to be our own advocates! We have to ask questions, insist on addition test if we feel it necessary.

I too have quit searching the internet for answers. I'm scaring myself more than anything. I've got a basic knowledge of what is going on, I've gotten the blood drawn for the WB test. Now all I can do is wait for clarification from University of Washington about what my status is.

I also saw a therapist for the first time last night. I've had so much going on in the last three months of my life, with this thrown into the mix I just felt it was more than I could handle without some kind of guidance. I got my therapist up to speed through about the beginning of March. Next Wednesday I need to discuss what's going on with the possible HSV1&2 infection, because the unknown is wearing on me a bit. I know I just need to hold tight and wait for my results, but it is rather nerve racking.

Big hugs to all of you!!! I am thinking good thoughts for all of us! We all deserve answers, great doctors, fantastic care, and the support needed to get through moments like this!
Hi, you are so confident and strong, you will get thru this. I pray that you WB comes back negative. I did post to Terry and found out she is the only person in the US that can order it. When I get my cultures back, ( hopefully tomorrow) if negative I will call next week and have her order for me. I was hoping to have back today but it would not make sense to order it just in case the culture shows positive. Right now I just want a diagnosis so I can treat whatever this is. I am beyond frustrated with discomfort down there. Today my"C" was very bothersome. Tingly and itchy which makes me feel like it is herpes , just no blisters on it. It is such a strange weird feeling. That to me is worse then the vaginal tenderness, I guess because that part is so sensitive. What is strange is it usually happens once or twice a day for a few minutes. Somedays I might not feel anything and today it bothered me a lot. From what I have read, not typical of herpes so what the heck could it be. Sorry, bad day today, have been crying a lot. You are in my prayers and keep posting.
Rainy12 - I'm glad you posted to Terri! I hope she was helpful! I know talking to her on the phone was very reassuring for me. Just to talk to someone that seemed knowledgeable (more knowledgeable than my ridiculous doctors over the last two weeks!) made me feel so much better.

Hang in there sweetie. You're going to get results soon and hopefully that will point you in the right direction. I know dealing with uncertainty can be so nerve racking. Just know you are doing all of the right things! Get another test, go see another doctor, whatever it is that you need to do to feel better, get answers, and feel like you're being taken seriously!

::HUGE HUGS::
Hi, got results today, all cultures negative, (BV, yeast, trich, herpes.) I asked them to let me try Valtrex to see if it would help my symptoms but they said no that the culture was "strongly" negative for herpes. Not sure what that means but since I do not have lesions I really didn't expect it to be positive. Biopsy came back to. Negative for cancer but positive for chronic inflammation which they diagnosed as Lichen Schlerosus. I feel good that someone found something. Prescribed steroid cream , milder Then the one I used last week( which made me very red and sore.) Have my phone appt with Terry on Tuesday. Grace posted to me today to forget this herpes diagnosis I gave myself and move on but I just have to know for sure. I am hoping this Lichen diagnosis is really all I have but I still cannot figure out what is going on with my "C" and the tingly feelings I have. Just to coincidental this all started after this one Hugh mistake. Guess you are counting down the days now? Stay strong! Hugs...
Rainy12 - I'm glad you got negative results back for all of your cultures!!! I agree with Grace - not herpes! I'm not familiar with Lichen Schlerosus (I just googled it right now) but I'm glad you have a diagnosis - I"m sure it feels good to have a name to the symptoms you are experiencing. I hope this milder steroid cream works for you. And good luck with your appointment with Terri!

I haven't heard a peep about my WB yet. I am concerned that my check to the University of Washington hasn't posted to my bank account yet - they should have received my specimen and the payment on Wednesday. I might call Quest to make sure the specimen got picked up by FedEx.

::sigh:: the waiting game.......
You had to send a check to the University? I thought it went thru the Westover clinic. How did it work? I asked and they said they would take my insurance. I read alot on LS this weekend, very scary, no cure. Could suffer the rest of my life. I bet this is what is bothering my "C". Yesterday was a good day, today not so good! Still keeping my appointment with the specialist. Maybe they will have more ideas. Your sample was sent in over a week ago, right? Still praying for you...
Rainy12 - I have no idea how payment is suppose to work. The lady at Quest had the box and instructions and didn't seem too sure about what she was doing. I emailed Westover Clinic and haven't received a response yet. I'm so confused and hoping that this isn't a week of wasted time, and that my blood specimen wasn't tossed because of confusion due to proper payment.

I'm glad you got to read up on LS. I'm sorry to hear there is no cure, but maybe this is manageable? I agree - keep your appointment with the specialist. Hopefully he/she can point you in the right direction on how to deal with LS and your symptoms.

I'll say another prayer for the both of us - answers, positivity, and the strength to continue on our paths!
Tonight is my call to Terry so I guess I will find out the procedure. I am trying to stay positive but yesterday was a hard day. Thinking if you and let me know if you hear back from Westover clinic. Hugs...
Hi, going Thursday for my blood test. Gave Terry my details , she remembered my post. I hope she is tight, she does not think I have it. I guess it's the waiting game for me now. Thinking of you, keep posting as to how you are doing.
Rainy12 - I'm glad you're talking to Terri - she's is an excellent source of information. I don't think you will regret speaking with her. Good luck with your blood test today. I'm keeping you in my thoughts, and I will say a little prayer for you. I know waiting for results can be stressful! ::HUGE HUGS::

I just got a call from Terri this afternoon! I tested negative for HSV2!!! I did test positive for HSV1 - and I am ok with that. I will repeat the test the first week of June to be 100% sure.

Fingers crossed nothing changes in the next few weeks. I will definitely let you know what happens. Please keep me in the loop with your results as well Rainy12!!!
Hi, so happy for you. I bet this is a big relief. I know I have HSV1 , I have been getting cold sores since I'm 10. Why isn't this test enough? How long ago were you exposed? I said a prayer when they were drawing my blood today. So your sample got there ok then. The girl today took 2 viles, she said the fax stated one but since she was sending so far she wanted to be safe. How long exactly was your wait. I know I will be a nervous wreck when it gets close. I'm sure when you saw the number your heart picked up a few beats.  Next one will be negative for you as we'll! Positive thoughts
The WB test should be done 16 weeks after last possible exposure. My ex and I were still together until the first week of March, but the last time we had sex was in the beginning of February. So in order to be 100% sure, I will redo the test at the 16 week mark.

I remember once in the third grade getting really sick. I got what my mom called a fever blister (which I've heard can be caused by HSV-1). That was the only time I've ever experienced something like a cold sore? I've heard it's very common to carry HSV-1... I mean, what's the first thing people do when they have a baby? Pass the baby around and everyone kisses the baby, so I was probably exposed at a very young age and my immune system has managed to keep it at bay?

My WB results only took about 2 weeks to come back. Terri called me directly. You're in great hands with Terri! She will call you as soon as she gets your results! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and will say another prayer for the both of us!

Besides the blood draw, how have you been feeling? Has the new steroid cream helped at all? Have you talked to your doctor or a specialist since your new diagnosis?
Hi, I felt confident when I spoke with Terry. She knows her stuff. I will be very nervous next week, I am trying to prepare myself for bad news. I am so happy your first test was negative, that is a good sign
Hi, hope you are well. Just letting you know got the WB results today, negative for HSV2. So so relieved . I knew I had HSV1 since childhood . Still thinking of you . Big hugs....
Hey, congratulations on the negative HSV2 results!!! I am so happy for you! So what are your plans from here? Are you getting any relief from your symptoms?
I do see improvement, it's still not back to "normal" but much better then it was. I go back to Gyno next week for recheck so I will see what she thinks and I plan on keeping my appointment with the specialist. I think my "c" is still not right for sure and I want that to get back to normal. I think the relief of not having herpes helps to heal as well. How are you? You still feel ok? Glad to have people to share our ups and downs with!
How was your recheck appointment?

I'm doing well - still no appearance of any kind of symptoms despite all the stress I've been under the last 2 months or so. I asked that my Western Blot test results be sent to my general practitioner and my ob/gyn's offices to be added to my files. I still cannot believe my ob/gyn's office was so against me getting a second test to confirm whether or not I actually had herpes. I think when this is concluded I am going to follow Grace's advice and write a letter to my ob/gyn's office about how poorly the handled the situation.
Hi, glad things are still on for you. You should definitely write a letter. My recheck was disappointing, she made me feel like I shouldn't have been there. Basically she said they did every culture they could, all were negative. Nothing more they can do. I told her I have the specialist appointment on May 28th and she said if I feel I need it I should go. I do, things still are sore. Some days are better then others but not back to normal. I just don't understand, I am still using the steroid cream everyday.... Take card and keep in touch
I'm glad you're keeping the appointment with the specialist. I hate when somone dismisses your symptoms. Hopefully time will speed up and we'll get to May 28th quickly so you can get some answers!

Hang in there!
How long until your next WB? I think you are clear... Still praying for you. Counting down the days until the specialist. Today was a good day, this is really confusing. I really hope they can shed some light on this for me. Take care
Long time, no see! I wanted to reach out to the community one more time. I went for my annual gyno visit - new gyno, thank goodness! I explained to her the drama of my last go-round with my previous gyno. I asked for a full STD screen - my western blot results were negative last year, but of peace of mind, I repeated testing one more time. I am happy to share that I am HSV2 free. I have sent a letter to my previous gyno's office asking to speak to the doctor or their office manager to discuss my misdiagnosis last year, the trauma it caused, and how they need to improve their testing and notification procedures. I hope it can be a springboard for that office and their staff. Big hugs to everyone!!!
Redhead, I read your story. So happy for you. Unbelievable that a nurse and physician could send you off in such a whirlwind panic without retesting or clarifying the results. Borderline malpractice, especially with a virus such as herpes.

I also tested negative for herpes via WesternBlot at 5 months for both HSV1 and HSV2. However, I had bad symptoms unlike yourself.

Great job retesting and enjoy your life knowing you are HSV2 free.
Bigtime, thank you for the message! I am sorry to hear that despite the negative results you are experiencing symptoms! Have you gotten to the bottom of things?

I got an email from my previous gyno's office. They would like to talk to me. I told them I am available anytime after 6pm to discuss my experience. I hope they reevaluate the test they are using and how they go about sharing "the news." I hope false positives aren't a recurring problem for their office - I can only imagine how many lives and relationships have been impacted.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers