Herpes Community
Possible Herpes Symptoms?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Possible Herpes Symptoms?

Hello this is my first post here but I was wondering if anyone had advice for me. About 8 weeks ago I had unprotected sex with a man who I consider risky. Starting a week later, I began to have unusual symptoms.

Week 1: Mild shock-like feeling on left labia minora
Week 2: tingle in inner thigh, numb on left bartholin gland area when sitting for long time (this only occurred one day)
Week 3: headache, painful tonsillities (felt like piece of food stuck on tonsil) mild sensitivity on left side vagina
Week 4: left side buttocks numb when laying in bed, tailbone ache, tender skin spots on lower back above buttock that hurt to press
Week 5: mild sting up one side vaginal wall, clitoris was somewhat sore when pressure applied
Week 6: Symptoms subsided
Week 7: More tender skin spots above right and left buttock on back
Week 8: Mild tickle on outside vagina, clitoris mildly sore, tender skin spots
In all this time, I had no sores or unusual marks on my vagina, no discharge or itching. For the first 3 weeks I was extremely worried and anxious, lost weight and couldn't sleep well.

I was tested for syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and HIV at 7 weeks and everything came back negative. Fungal swab came back negative. In these 8 weeks, I went to my gynecologist twice who said that without visible lesions or physical signs she doubted this was herpes. My GP also said it sounded like sciatica rather than herpes, testing not necessary. My gynecologist did not think herpes testing was necessary, and said "you would know if you were having a primary outbreak". Has anyone heard of herpes presenting this way? How accurate is a 9 week herpes blood test?
It could be herpes.. follow up with another doctor.
Hi linda, I went to a planned parenthood nurse who was more open to the idea of herpes testing and I'm going to be tested next week. I have read that accurate tests take 12-16 weeks, but do you know how accurate a 9 week test would be? Which of my symptoms seem most suggestive of herpes? I have been very conscious of my body and genitals lately and am not sure which feelings are just natural or worrisome.
Hey I am waiting for my results i m getting from a test i took from labcorps for hsv 1 and hsv 2 specific igg test, the lady that gave me the test and the ppl from labcorps said the test at 64 days is 98.something accurate.
Hey I was looking at some of your posts and I'm under a lot of stress about STDs too. Did you have any symptoms? I'm still really worried about my health, but at the same time i've been eating bad, i drink a lot, and don't exercise much lately. I would think that I might have had an outbreak by now or symptoms other than leg and lower back aches. But the only thing that will bring peace of mind is testing. I hope everything turns out ok with your results!

Here... this is what I paid $22 to a doctor expert on this site to tell me today, I'll gift it to you - happy birthday:

Typically at 3 weeks after appearance of lesions, only about half of persons who have definitely gotten HSV will have positive HerpeSelect assays- at 6 weeks it detects 60-70% of infections  and at 3 months the figure is close to 95%.  

Thanks for that, I trust the opinion of an expert. I do know that my partner tested negative for hsv-2 a week after our encounter, but this doesn't mean much to me as he had 2 other partners in the previous month. He did say that he had coldsores when he was a kid, but hadn't gotten one in about 13 years. He did not perform oral on me, but this did make me suspicious of my "tonsillitis" (3 days) , headache (4 days), and a sore jaw that lasted a day. Also a cluster of barely visible rough skin below my lip that I've gotten twice in the last 8 weeks. goes away in a couple of days without blistering or visible scabs. So of course I get nervous and think he I may have gotten hsv-1 and infected my genitals through autoinnoculation. I was even paranoid that it in my eye because i had a pimple looking bump under one eye and some mild eye irritation. I want to move on from this phase in my life. Thanks for everyone advice
your symptoms do not sound like herpes at all. no need to suspect herpes unless you get clear symptoms (sores, blisters).
if you need peace of mind, retest at 3-4 months mark. no reason to believe this is herpes going on.