Herpes Community
Possible Herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Possible Herpes?

In July 2012 I noticed that the lymph nodes on either side of my groin (where leg attaches to body) were swollen and tender, and it was extremely painful for my boyfriend and I to have sex. A few days later, I noticed 3 big, red bumps around my butthole area. They seemed like pimples and were painful and began to itch but I honestly think it was because they were in an area that rubs together when I walk, and my job required a lot of walking. Upon closer viewing, my boyfriend informed me there were more than 3 bumps, there were in fact several, but they were not clustered together as herpes normally is.  I went to the local health dpmt and was tested for syphilis, gonorrhea, chlymidia and HIV and all came back negative.  The doctor there looked at the bumps, told me I had herpes, and sent me to another clinic to get tested and make sure.  At that clinic, the doctor disagreed and said she didn't think it was herpes because they had itched in the beginning. She did a PAP smear which came back abnormal, so they sent the results (i'm assuming the swab that she took from the PAP) to another lab to test for HPV and herpes. They told me they both came negative.  After about a week and a half to two weeks, the pain and bumps finally began to heal and not hurt, but then my butt crack became extremely itchy.  From the top of my crack (by my back) all the way to my butthole, the "crack" itself was red and itched and itched  This lasted for a few days and finally went away. Since they told me the herpes "test" had come back negative, I assumed I had just either a) was having really extreme symptoms from a yeast infection that hadn't cleared up from a few months before or b) i had gotten an infection from getting "raw" during sex (which I used to a lot!) and it had resulted in those symptoms. Also, I have NEVER had anal sex, which the doctors kept asking me, but my boyfriend and I do spoon.

Months went by and everything seemed fine. Then, a week and a half ago, I felt a bump again by my butthole.  I could barely see it in the mirror, and it didn't hurt too bad, but it was raised and red.  I could just feel it occasionally when walking. My lymph nodes are not swollen this time, and the bump appears to be by itself. It is raised and was tender when I touched it.  2 days after I noticed this bump, I began having diarrhea and it has not quit (over a week now).  The bump has gone down and I don't even notice it now, but then the itchy buttcrack and the redness from my back to my butthole in the crack appeared again! For a full day and night my crack itched and itched and there is another bump formed in my crack that itches and hurts when I touch it.  I had read that the first outbreak of herpes is usually the worst and the ones after that usually mild down.

So my question is, is that what is going on here? Do I eventually need to go to a better doctor or OBGYN and have an actual herpes test performed? Or could this just be from having rough sex that gets me an infection? Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get as much detail as possible, and thanksin advance for the reply.  Also, I was with my boyfriend for 5 months in July when everything began happening. He has had several partners in the past but his ex was tested when they were together and she was clean, so he assumed he was as well.  He has never had any of these bumps or problems that I am. He is extremely trustworthy and I know for certain that he has not cheated on me. Thank you again!