Herpes Expert Forum
Possible herpes exposure

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Possible herpes exposure

Hi Terri ,

I have posted a little over in the std forum and dr hook has been extremely helpful but I'm having some serious anxiety issues today and i wanted to get your opinion as well.

Time line

Sunday a 3 am I made out with a girl, received unprotected oral sex for 2 mins, and had vaginal protected sex for about 30 seconds. I don't know her well and am unaware of her sexual history. All I know was she got out of a relationship of 2 years about a month ago and she was the one who insisted on using a condom (I wouldn't have without any ways).

The day after (I have some major anxiety issues) I started feeling itchy in my groin and a weird feeling on my lips...probably both anxiety based at the time.

Fast forward to Tuesday...I started to get a sore throat and the strange feeling in my lip remained the same , and I started worrying about a potential hsv1 infection...my groin was also still very itchy so I was worried about that as well.

Today...my groin has pretty much ceased being itchy and I feel nothing out of the ordinary in my genital region. That said, the right side of my lip appeared more red than usual (I have something where I usually had a red ring along the outside of my lips, sometimes it can get worse, usually when I exert myself...but it usually goes back down). On the right side of my lip there was a fairly large patch of lip that was more red than usual. All of these sensations and red was have occurred on the right side , and today after lunch I looked in the mirror and out of nowhere saw a red mark on the left side of my lip, and this one appears to have two little cuts in it (but I cannot be sure).

Basically what I want to know is considering I have tested negative for hsv1 in the past (assuming this would be my initial outbreak), what are like the time frames of certain stages. For example, when could I expect these red marks to turn into blisters if they were going to.
My goodness.  You certainly are anxious.  And I believe we have spoken before, yes?
Have you previously tested negative for HSV 1?  
Your symptoms are really vague, in terms of herpes.  There is nothing that you have described that makes me concerned about herpes.  Honestly.  
The problem with reading everything online about herpes is that there will be things you read here and there that you say "hey, I have that".  But the big thing you don't have is any kind of genital lesion.  
I'm sorry you are having such worries, but your encounter was really brief and quite safe and I'm just not worried for you.

Terri
A question I forgot to ask earlier was that if this was my initial outbreak would I have these weird feelings (possibly tingling)? Wouldn't that only exist in recurrent out breaks and be happening it I had caught hsv1 at a past time, or could it still happen here?

As the other person said I see you are only on a few times a day so any concerns or updates I have I'll post.

This morning I woke up with no change in the lips (still red like usuall with a few red spots but no bumps of any kind). I still have a slight sore throat and the red side of my neck feels a little sore , near the lymph glands but there's nothing swollen.

I am still slightly worried about my groin region as well as I have had on and off generalized itching since Saturday (yesterday wasn't bad, today it's been more prevalent).

Maybe it is just because I've decreased the focus on my lip region and back to my genital region that I am noticing the itching again, I'm not sure , either way this is day 4 1/2 and no bumps, redness , or anything like that.  Just the itchiness and a few times I've had some pain in my leg
I am also noticing a little lower back soreness and every now and then a quick pain when my lymph nodes are (in the v in above my groin)...and the itching is back everywhere.

Sorry for the posts , I just want to make sure I say everything, I have serious anxiety when it comes to potential std scares.
Would back soreness be a typical symptom of an initial outbreak even if I didn't have lesions any where? What I mean is if there's no sign of an outbreak on my genitals , would the soreness in my back and the lymph node discomfort I feel even relate...would one need the other basically?
Yes I am anxious about this kind of stuff haha. It's honestly the only type of thing that gets me but for some reason it does.

I have never had a breakout of anything before, and 2 years ago I tested negative for HSV 1 yes.  I'd say I am only really concerned over catching something from this incident, the other people i have been with since i trust.

Either way, it is now more than a week since my exposure. My only concern right now is a bump I have developed on my chin about an inch down from my mouth. It has been over a day and it has grown in size, but it is still hard and does not look like a blister. This morning i squeezed it and a tiny bit of white pus came out. Would this happen if it was going to turn into a blister?

Normally herpes lesions don't have much pus in them, if any, and usually herpes presents as a little cluster of water blisters, not a hard bump with pus in it, that sounds more like a pimple to me

Terri