Herpes Expert Forum
Possible herpes on hands and feet

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Possible herpes on hands and feet

I was recently diagnosed with HSV 1 orally. I had never had a cold sore in my life prior to this. I immediately became paranoid that I also had it genitally. I became extremly anxious and lost 10lbs in two weeks. I started feeling all kinds of sensations all over my body( popping sensations,tingling all over, burning sensations, pain in my legs). I was very careful not to touch any sores or put my hands close to my mouth. I developed a red bump on the top of each hand and on one wrist, one on my left foot and two on my hips. These were not blistery bumps. I also had taken a fall at this time and landed on my hands and may have had some broken skin. I had an appt with gyn and she looked at them and said it was not herpes and referred me to a dermatologist. I went to the dermatologist and she stated that it was a rash from stress. About a week later I developed a burning sensation in my left arm and now there is pain off and on. My family thinks all of this is stress related as does my gp. I am barely functioning these days and am seeing a psychiatrist on Friday. I have a 9 year old daughter and am terrified of passing this to her. I feel like I have virus all over me.1. Is it possible to spread this all over my body?2. Am I shedding virus all over my body? How do I protect my child?PLEASE HELP 
Nothing that you have described sounds like herpes to me.  I totally agree with your doctors that have told you it is unlikely to be herpes.  However, having said that, 56% of the US population has oral herpes, it is very common and pretty benign in terms of medical problems.  Do you have any idea why this is freaking you out so much?  Has your husband ever had a cold sore in his life?  If yes, does that worry you like this does?

Terri
Some additional info I left out. Sorry! Not so good with the writing thing.The night before these red bumps appeared I was panicking and took 2 valtrex. Stupid I know. When I went to bed I felt like I had bugs crawling all over me and tingling all over my body. My dermatologist said it was due to the valtrex. She said not to take more than you are supposed to.I have also had a pressure feeling in my right but cheek in the same spot for about 5 weeks. Some low back pain that comes and goes and some pain down my right leg that comes and goes. My GP says it is mild sciatica. I don't know what to think. My dermatologist says it does not sound genital herpes at all. I have had some small red bumps on my buttocks and my derm says it is "normal stuff" going on. Some have a small whitehead and some have no head at all. I would not have noticed them if I had not been looking. My husband says I need to stop all of this and trust my docs. All of this is affecting my marriage and my relationship with my daughter.I just want to thank you in advance for answering my questions.    
Thank you so much for answering my questions. I guess that I assumed I must have gotten this from my husband and if he gave it to me orally he must have given it to me genitally as well. My doctor says she wished that she had never told me what I had but that I had right to know. She says the word herpes just sent me over the edge. My husband has never had a cold sore but my mother in law does get them. The more I read about anxiety the more I believe that my symptoms are related to that. I have an appt tomorrow with a psychiatrist and will hopefully be able to move past this. Thanks so much for your input. I am already feeling better.
The thing to do from here, I believe, is to get an accurate test to see if you have or don't have oral or genital herpes.  It would be good to get a type specific antibody test.  That's a blood test that you can do 3-4 months after the symptoms appear.  but I agree that your anxiety is playing a role here.

Terri
If this was herpes on my hands and feet what are the risks to my family? My dermatologist insists that it was not. I am not completely convinced. Would I be shedding virus all over both hands? I am at a point right now where I will not not even hold my daughters hand much less let anyone else touch me. I am terrified of passing this to her or my husband.
Another question. Are you saying that these other symptoms could be that of genital herpes and no outbreak may occur. This has been going for 5 weeks. Can it last for that long. My husband is the only person I have ever been with and we have been together since high school (17 Years).
No, I am not saying at all that your symptoms on your hands and feet are herpes, not at all!   Herpes would not show up on your hands and feet as your describe.  You should believe your dermatologist, they are right there and can easily assess if this is herpes or not.  And no, herpes does not last five weeks.  

I think you are going over the edge about this with your family, and the psychological damage that you could do to them by not touching them could be signficant when you've been told this isn't herpes.  I so hope you are getting psychological help.

Terri