Herpes Community
Possible primary herpes tiny and singular, or something else?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Possible primary herpes tiny and singular, or something else?

Let me preface my story by saying that I did go see a doctor at my school, and all he said was that it "might be herpes". I did not get the feeling, though, that he was very interested in hearing the details of the situation. It seemed like he just wanted to give me his unsure diagnosis and get me out the door, which is why I am still very curious.

A week previous to this tiny bump showing up, I had unprotected sex with a girl that I have had sex with, both protected and unprotected, on and off for the past 9 months. Throughout this time, she has never shown any signs or symptoms of HSV. During a brief period where we were not together about a month ago, she slept with one other partner once, using protection. So I believe that it is unlikely that she is infected.

Shortly after the last time we had sex, I started seeing a new girl. On the 24th, we spent a few hours making out, with plenty of over-the-clothes rubbing and friction. The very next morning I noticed a tiny bump forming on the side of my penis, toward the head end. It appeared as a tiny flesh-colored bump, with what looked like a tiny tiny whitehead forming under the surface. It was not red or itchy.

I get skin tags from time to time in the usual places, armpits, neck, and the base of my penis, which I have had checked by a doctor. I generally treat these by simply pulling them off with tweezers. They bleed a bit, but do not come back.

My first reaction when I noticed this new bump was to think it may be a skin tag. So I treated it as I would a skin tag, and attempted to pull it off with tweezers. But there was really nothing to grab onto, so it did not do much except irritate the bump, and pull off a bit of skin.

I scheduled an appointment with Student Health Services at my university, and saw a doctor yesterday, the 27th. He took one look at the bump, which by now had a tiny scab from where I removed a bit of skin, and said "It's not warts. It might be herpes." He said there was no way to tell until the second occurrence, took blood for a reference point, and told me to come back immediately when the second occurrence appears.

I am not confident in this doctor's uncertain diagnosis for a few reasons: firstly, he did not seem interested in my explanations that the bump only had a small scab on it because I had removed skin the day before. Also, from what I understand about primary herpes, it generally results in multiple lesions, which itch or burn. This bump is singular, with no other signs of irritation in the surrounding area.

Perhaps it is simply wishful thinking, but I think that it is more likely that the bump was originally caused by irritation of the skin due to all of the rubbing that took place the night before it showed up. It seemed to me as though it could simply be a pore that became irritated or clogged, but was handled a bit aggressively by me, thus resulting the small scab where I removed a bit of the skin.

The doctor said that if this was herpes, it would take about 1-2 weeks to heal. Since I believe it is not herpes, I anticipate it to heal quicker, within the next couple of days. Am I correct in assuming that a quicker recovery time would indicate that this is less likely to be herpes?

I am aware that you cannot make any diagnosis, but I would just like to know if it is possible that friction and rubbing of clothes could irritate the skin, causing a small bump. Also, am I in any way correct about assuming that primary herpes would most liekly present itself in a much more aggressive way, or are tiny, painless, singular, primary herpes outbreaks not uncommon?

Thanks very much.