Herpes Expert Forum
Post herpetic neuralgia?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Post herpetic neuralgia?

Im trying to determine whats going on. I've had a weird issue at the tip of my penis for about 4 months. If I brush the tip with my underwear I'll feel a slight discomfort. On a scale of 1-10 for pain, it's less than one, but still noticeable and it's never been there before. I can't always reproduce it and if I try to make it happen manually with my hands I typically can't. It happens for the most part ( maybe exclusively, not sure) when my penis is at least partially erect. It's easiest to reproduce when lying in bed by moving the pelvic area around on the bed or against pants (if at least partially erect). Like I said, I can't find a tender spot with my hands, so not sure where it's coming from exactly, it's just near/at the tip. Urologist isn't sure and it's not an infection. I'd normally say it's normal for the tip of the urethra to be sensitive if it rubs (maybe the tip is pulling apart and the inside is brushing), but I've never had thus before and if it was a cut/injury, wouldn't it gave healed by now (plus I don't remember any injury)? Wondering if it's PHN bc, while I've never been tested for herpes, I did have a red irritated patch at the tip about a year or do ago that would develop a whitish coating when wet. It went away in about 2 days.  I chalked it up to rubbing from jogging, as I had just finished (though didn't notice rubbing while running). I know this doesn't sound typical for PHN or herpes, but not sure what else it could be. Can you please tell me if you think it may be this or of it's highly unlikely? The pain level is so low that I don't care if it ever goes away (I don't feel it during sex or any other way while manipulating it, only during the slight rub while erect), but I would like to know it's nothing to worry about (disease/cancer/etc).

Ps if it is PHN, and I also have hpv, is my an my wife's cancer risk increased (if so, by how much) from having hpv and herpes?
orry to be so late in answering.  I am in Mexico, and have very sketchy internet access, despite promises to the contrary prior to departure.

Your symptoms really don't suggest herpes, no.  Have you had a sexual encounter that you're concerned about in particular?  PHN really doesn't present like this normally, usually it is pain down the leg or in the buttocks or thigh.  I'm not sure what's going on, but herpes would be at the bottom of my list.  

If she does have herpes, it wouldn't increase her risk of cancer, no.  If she has HPV, that is the cancer culprit, at least certain types are.

Terri
Just wondering if there was a problem with my post or if it just hasn't been answered yet, thanks.