Herpes Community
Potential Partner tested Positive for Type 2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hi Doc, So I am a 40 yr old male coming out of a two decade plus mutually monoganous relationship and I am looking to be with someone for the first time since that and we both got tested recently. She learned for the first time she is Herpes Type 2 positive, Never had an out break she says and I am very inclined to trust based on her reaction and fact she pushed for mutual testing.  Read a lot on CDC website and understnad can be passed even when non symtomatic at the time.

Planning to be with her initmately now on hold mutually until we both sort things out but I also do wnat to treat her like a leaper as she could be a long term partner for me, than I would be willing to take the risk.  Understnad abstence is only full proof prevention and using a condom is must.  Short of having protective intercourse wiith her now until we both get our heads around this what else should I avoid ? ...

I imagine based on what I read that I should be good / very very low risk if
Can I still touch her everywhere? (no cuts on my hands)
Kissing of mouth?
Having her touch / kiss me anywhere on my body?

Really don't want to walk away to avoid getting it but also really don't wan tto get Type 2... thanks

Tags: type 2
There is no risk from kissing or touching. Unless she has a cold sore on her face, then kissing isnt advised until the sore is healed. She could consider taking suppression therapy and that reduces the risk of transmitting it to you to 1% per year.  Otherwise, with condoms only its about 4%.  Honestly taking extreme measures seems uneccessary. Do you love her? If yes, then that should be all that matters.  HSV2 is very common. Im assuming you were tested for both types?? What blood test was she given? IgM? IgG?
oh btw this is a open/volunteer type forum, we are not doctors. apparently you have to pay to post questions there.
I will gladly take a look at her test results if she hasn't posted them here already for a 2nd opinion. There are false positive issues so making sure she was tested properly and doesn't need additional confirmatory testing is never a bad idea.

As steph already pointed out - over all the risk of transmission is very low from female to male even with minimal precautions. To give you something to compare it to, the risk of pregnancy from real use of the pill is 8% - so she's far more likely to get pregnant than for you to contract hsv2 from her.  

keep asking questions!

grace