Herpes Expert Forum
Pregnant, HSV2

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Pregnant, HSV2

Hello!  About 10 years ago I had what I and my doctor thought was a genital herpes outbreak.  He took a culture and I was told over the phone it was positive but I never saw the results on paper.  I am now pregnant and my obgyn put in for me to have an IGG test.  I got my results back yesterday and it was negative.  How can this be?  Do these tests ever come back false negative?  So many years later is it possible to have such a low number of IGG?  Is there another test I should get to be sure?  

These were my results:
HSV 1 IGG, TYPE SPEC <0.91
Negative 1.09

HSV 2 IGG, TYPE SPEC <0.91
Negative 1.09

Thank you!
Well, are you able to get a copy of the test result that you had years ago?
Have you had subsequent outbreaks of genital herpes?
The chance of a false positive swab test from a genital lesion is very low indeed.  However, here is one thing that could be going on, particularly if you've not had subsequent outbreaks.  The antibody test that you had done for HSV 1 is notoriously insensitive.  It misses about one out of every 10 people infected with HSV 1 (the HSV 2 test is substantially better).  A test more sensitive (but not perfect) for HSV 1 is the herpes western blot, done only at the University of Washington.  Your OB can send for a test kit from them or you can become a patient of our clinic and we can order it for you.  Those are the only two ways to get the test right now.  

The other way to handle this is to assume that you have genital herpes of some type and treat you during your pregnancy as though you do.  This would involve taking daily suppressive medicine from 34-36 weeks on.  

Terri
I'll try again,

1.10         Positive
This is really weird, I'm going to type the words out because it's not letting me type the numbers.  Less than .90 is negative, 0.90 to 1.10 is equivocal, and greater than 1.10 is positive.

My old doctor is no longer in practice unfortunately, but I have had a few outbreaks over the years.  Will the western blot test for hsv2 as well?  Thank you!
Yes, it tests for both.

Terri