Herpes Community
Pregnant with herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Pregnant with herpes

I am currently almost 30 weeks pregnant - I got herpes almost two years ago at least that is when I had my primary.  I have had 4 or 5 outbreaks during pregnancy so far they are mild and maybe last five days.  I have not treated them with anything just let them go away on their own - my question is should I have been talking acyclovair when I had breakouts - because I didn't take any treatment will the virus cross over and infect baby in utero.  My OBGYN is going to start me on meds in a few weeks till my delivery - I am just scared of passing this onto my baby.  I am planning for c-section and my doctor has agreed to that but still I am so scared.  I am having an outbreak right now it has lasted so far 7 days so I might go and start my acyclovair early.  Did anyone else have outbreaks during pregnancy that they did not treat - have I already done damage to baby by not treating them any advise I would appreciate.
Do you know i fyou have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

If you are planning on having a c section regardless, no reason to start on suppressive therapy for the last month of pregnancy.  You only need that if you are planning on a vaginal delivery so that you can decrease the odds of having a genital lesion at the time of delivery so that you  can deliver vaginally.  If you are not sold on a c section and might want to deliver vaginally then the acyclovir dose is 400mg 3x/day every day for the last month of pregnancy.

You absolutely have done nothing wrong by not treating the ob's you've had during pregnancy. the baby is safe inside you and having ob's not is not an issue.  It's only an issue at the time of delivery.

Because you had hsv2 ( I assume ) before you were pregnant, no obvious lesions at the time of delivery and the risk of transmitting the virus to the baby during delivery is less than 1%.  It's a concern but not a huge one.  

If this ob seems to last more than a few days more, ask to be tested for vaginitis - sometimes it's a trigger for longer ob's.

grace
Thanks for your reply I have been so depressed lately and your answer has answered alot of questions.  thanks so much for your time
keep asking questions as you have them :)  just keep adding any new questions to this same post to bump it back up.

grace