Herpes Community
Primary HSV outbreak and transmission

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Primary HSV outbreak and transmission

Good Evening.
I am a female who gave unprotected vigorous oral and received protected (also very vigorous though) vaginal intercourse with a male partner T-6 days ago. at T-4 days he let me know he believed he had contracted genital herpes from another female partner, first contact T-13 days ago. Both had been tested in the past with negative HSV results, as have I. By T-5 days ago he was symptomatic with lesion on his penis at that time and she realized she had been confusing her genital symptoms with other ladypart issues (yeast, UTI, etc).  They both received positive diagnosis from physical exam the next day (T-4 days ago), and blood test is pending.  T-2 days ago overnight I determined that I had very significant pharyngeal herpes symptoms (three circular red lesions behind epiglottis on back of throat with white centers, leaking pee colored but clear fluid, not to be confused with pus that one sees in more typical cold/flu; also no respiratory or congestion symptoms). T-1 (yesterday) I went to the GYN, who swabbed me genitally and orally, and took blood for testing, results of which are pending.  He saw no lesions genitally but has zero familiarity with pharyngeal herpes (hadn't even heard of it) and said I'd need to see my dentist (?!).  Meanwhile he gave me suppressive Valacyclovir.  Over that day T-1 I developed also lymph node swelling, fever, and chills and fatigue as well as increased number of lesions (6-8 that I can see at this time with a flashlight).  I've kept in touch with the infected partner, and neither he nor she have any oral symptoms only genital.  Meanwhile I have only oral symptoms.  Regardless of whether it is HSV1 or HSV2, is it common for primary outbreak to only occur in one site even though both have been exposed? If I take suppressive Valacyclovir now will it interfere with my ability to determine whether I am having a mild primary outbreak also genitally? Do I even need to know whether I 'have' it in one or both places as far as future sexual activity with partners?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
you should've been given 7-10 days of valtrex 1gm twice a day. Is that what you were given?

at this point, wait for test results to come back.  did they by chance also do a strep swab on your throat or just the viral swab? since you performed unprotected oral, did they also test for gonorrhea and chlamydia orally too?

grace
Yes, that is the dose/frequency/duratian.
I made no distinction at the time what my GYN was doing with throat swab although he did say something like 'this way we'll be able to rule out strep'.
He may be testing for oral G and C too, as he asked me if I wanted the other STD testing while he was at it, but that may have been a reference to HIV testing since they drew blood?
Hi Grace,
It has been now 6 months since I was exposed to and 5 months since I was diagnosed with HSV2.  When I last posted (above) I was waiting for the diagnosis.  I had the primary oral OB swabbed and it was positive for HSV with no typing; and blood test was negative for HSV2.  In March the results of my second blood test were HSV1 at 1.65 and HSV2 at 4.36.  Since my primary oral OB in February I have experienced no OBs although I think I'm occasionally having 'prodrome' orally in the same area.  I have had no discernible OBs genitally, ever, or noticed prodrome.  Since I don't have discernible OBs suppressive therapy seems unnecessary (and expensive). It's really been a non-issue physiologically, it's all about the social stigma/ethical responsibilities of disclosing, etc.
I'm seeing someone who I've disclosed to, and who was recently tested (he has HSV1 but not 2, no oral OBs since teen years).  He is interested in becoming intimate, and wants to know more about risks of specific activities. I've combed through posts on here, and we've both read the Westover Heights pamphlet, and I've read the whole Good News/Bad News book cover to cover.

Assuming that my primary OB was oral HSV2 (the most rare and least shedding combination).
What is the risk of transmitting it to him:
-orally by kissing?  Since he already has HSV 1 is this risk reduced?
-performing oral sex; would using condom when I perform oral sex reduce risk of transmission, and by how much?  

Assuming that I also have HSV2 genitally since we don't know otherwise, and even though I've never noticed an OB.  
-by receiving oral sex. should we use a dental dam/cut open condom or something similar?
-by receiving vaginal penetration, using condoms

Also, would you recommend I get tested again?  And, since I'm not having any symptoms, is there some type of swabbing protocol I might be able to do somewhere to determine which HSV type I have where; indeed whether I have HSV2 genitally at all?  

Thank you in advance for any insights you may have or resources you can suggest.
Grace retired
Oh!  Is there another moderator with her experience working still?
or do I need to post to the group (or maybe it was already)
you can post in the paid expert forum and a doctor will advise you for  a fee.
Whats your question and the one saying "assuming cannot be answered".

In few words what is your concern.