Herpes Community
Protected Oral and Vaginal Sex with Sex Worker

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

In a moment of moral failure and rash decision making, I decided to visit an escort today. The encounter included protected oral and vaginal sex, which in total lasted maybe 10-15 minutes. A condom was used and there was no breakage or slippage, so I understand the chances of a fluid-transmitted disease like HIV are essentially 0%.

However, what are the risks for skin-to-skin transmitted STDs? My main concern is contracting either Herpes or HPV. As far as Herpes, is it possible to contract it even when there are no open sores? I did not have any cuts or sores of any kind and as far as I could tell, neither did the escort. What about for HPV? I've read that simply one-time genital-area contact is enough to contract the disease. I've also read that a majority of sexually active people have it or have had it, so it seems inevitable that someone like a sex worker who has sex probably several times a day, every day will have it and thus be contagious. I am extremely worried as I understand HPV is often asymptomatic but can be especially dangerous (the asymptomatic varieties are correlated with cancer). I also do not want to spread it to future sex partners I may have. Is there anything I do can do at this point? Is it possible to get tested for these particular diseases?
Well unfortunately you can contract herpes without the presence of open sores. They can be scabbed over and it can be transmitted. With women obviously you can't see inside the vagina, but a condom helps. As far as the outer genital area if you didn't see anything you should be fine. As far as HPV, just get tested. As a man it doesnt hurt you and I'm glad to hear you are considerate enough to check. Good luck to you.
herpes, syphilis and hpv are your main risks from protected genital sex. protected oral sex is no risk for std's.

you can get tested for herpes after 3 months and syphilis after 6 weeks if you are concerned. we don't have commercially available tests for hpv at this point to cover that base properly.

it's really low risk of std's from a one time encounter like this.

grace