Herpes Community
Puzzling

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Puzzling

Hello doctors, i am having a difficult time trying to uncover a hsv2 infection. I have been with my partner for 5 years, my partner tested positive for hsv2 years ago. I finally decided to take a type specific blood test to see what was going on. I must add that we were having unprotected intercourse. My results came back positive for hsv1(igg-2.67) and negative for hsv2(igg-0.09).  Now i have experienced symptoms in the genital area in the past. Due to the results one would say that it is due to the hsv-1 but the so called symptoms occur more regularly. I have seen bumps and single lesions.

I have read that there is about 5% of people who wont get a positive test result and always test negative. But i cant understand why i would test positive for hsv1 and negative for hsv2... Then again would it b possible that i haven't contracted hsv2 over tht period. Or i may have it and always will test negative??? I need help plz doc
Hi, the hsv1 maybe a false positive as any value under 3 would need retesting. Many people have hsv1 oral from childhood. It is possible to have exposure to hsv2 and not contract it esp if you already have hsv1 as have antibodies that would help prevent it.
Thanks for the reply life360. I was just concerned due to the fact that I've seen symptoms in the past and tested negative twice for hsv2. I'm jus wondering i could be apart of that 5 % of people who always test negative. Also is that they always test negative for hsv on a whole or just hsv2?
Most testing is accurate and if negative you can rest in that result.
Thanks for the result
at this point, best to be seen every time you have genital symptoms. if they suspect herpes, a lesion culture can be done, preferably a pcr swab but it needs done within 48 hours of the appearance of symptoms to be most accurate.

could you actually have hsv2 and just be part of the small percentage that doesn't test accurately on the blood tests we currently offer? you could be but the odds of that are fairly small. a + lesion culture of symptoms would help to determine if you are.  

does your partner take daily suppressive therapy to lower your risk of contracting hsv2?