Herpes Community
Question about Herpes IGG Change

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Question about Herpes IGG Change

I was hoping someone could help provide some guidance for more on a change in my Herpes IGG test results.

I have been having ongoing vaginal issues for the last seven months.  They started following unprotected sex with a new partner back in November after which I had flu like symptoms, vaginal pain, itching, tingling etc.

Trying to diagnose the cause I requested to be IGG tested for HSV 2 in April, five months post potential exposure.

April IGG HSV 2 results = 0.00

At ta time I was not run for HSV 1.

By this time being as I had been visually cleared several times by a couple different medical professionals (I was treated for yeast an bv in the intervening months) and swab tested negative once my doctor told me I would not hurt anyone and I was clear for sexual activity.

I then had protected sex with a second new partner in April.

A week and a half ago I began experiencing worsening symptoms that freaked me out.  I went to Urgent Care and requested to be run for HSV 1 and swabbed again as this time felt there was definitely something there to swab.  The PA I saw said just to be thorough he would run everything again.

June IGG HSV 1 results = 0.16 negative
June IGG HSV 2 results = 0.27 negative 7 months past potential 1st exposure, 2 months past potential second

IGM HSV 1 = negative
IGM HSV 2 = negative

Swab = no cultures detected/negative

My first question is this -I did wash thoroughly with soap and water before going to Urgent Care to be swabbed in order to get the garlic treatment  had been using to treat the itch and pain off of me.  Does washing impact the effectiveness of a swab?

Second and most importantly - should I be concerned that my HSV 2 IGG test results are now showing .27 instead  0.00?  Both results are still negative and I did not experience any flu like symptoms or new physical symptoms after the second guy, just a temporary worsening of symptoms I already had some of which have been consistent with herpes and some which are not.

Thank you in advance for your help.
garlic treatment?

actually more  unusual to get a zero as a result than it is to get a low number.  due to the way they do the herpes igg blood testing, getting a zero is unusual. your repeat testing is a clear negative yet, you don't have to worry about your results.

no need to wash up before a gyn appointment.  could soap and water have caused a false negative culture? it could but odds are this isn't a herpes issue going on.

at this point I'd continue to see your gyn as needed.   did they test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally again when you were seen this last time?

grace
I started using garlic after I was diagnosed with the yeast infection.  It helped considerably with the symptoms I was experiencing (mainly pain an discharge) and my OBGYN said she thought it was ok.

I think the problem was mostly in my head.  My symptoms went away after I got the negative results and began returning when I questioned my numbers.  I just need to calm down.

Thank you very much for your help Grace.  It is much appreciated!