Herpes Expert Forum
Question about Testing

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Question about Testing

Terri,

I've posted on the community forum and I called your clinic yesterday to order the western blot. I know you have a lot of patients and probably don't remember my call but just in case; I was sexually assaulted about a year and ten months ago, I currently have a boyfriend, I tested positive after the assault for igm but negative igg for type one and two at exactly 112 days post assault, had two sores on mouth that I assumed were cold sores many months after the assault, i had the worst sore throat of my life three weeks post assault and tested negative for mono, i've had no other symptoms, I tested positive a year and ten months post assault for igg type 2.

I had my boyfriend tested yesterday evening (they did igm and a combo igg, frustrating!) and said we should know the results by this Monday or Tuesday. Thank you for setting up the western blot! I got it done today.

So my questions are: is his test reliable if it comes back negative? what are the chances my low positive is actually positive? is that wishful thinking? is it possible i had type 2 on my mouth? the man who assaulted me had a cold sore on his cheek when he assaulted me and did kiss all over me (except down below). he also harassed me post assault and told me he had all sorts of diseases including hsv2 on his mouth. (I was tested extensively and everything came back negative except for herpes)

I'm sorry for the length, just really needing some answers. Mostly I wanted to keep you updated on test results/arising questions.
Of course I remember you!
The question about whether his test can be reliable is dependent upon your western blot.  If your western blot is positive for HSV 2, then he could be recently infected, and his test might not be accurate.  If your western blot is negative then his test should be accurate, unless he has had another partner recently.  

Its difficult to know about your ELISA test.  However, the only scenario that I can see where you might have become infected is from your boyfriend.  You were tested just short of  4 months after the assault, but I still think the chances are very good that they were accurate.  What was your HSV 1 status again?

Terri
Oh, and my positive igg numerical value was 2.55, if it helps.
Negative for hsv1 at almost 4 months post assault, never tested again. I did have those bumps on my mouth about 6 months or so post assault. They were swabbed and came back negative. I'll let you know his results Mon or Tue!
OK, sounds good.

Terri
Terri,
We got his test results back! :( I'm so upset. His igg combo test was 9 point something. So that's pretty much for sure we have type 2 right? Does it matter that it was the combo test?
The combination test is useless for sorting out if someone has HSV 1. The entire response on this test may be due to HSV 1.  He needs a type specific test, not a combined test.  Sorry!

Did you get a western blot?

Terri
I specifically asked his doctor to give him a type specific test too. So frustrating. I'm going to just take him to my doctor I guess. And yes, you ordered me a western blot, thank you! I took it last Friday. Will they send those results to you or to me? I know I'll have questions after those results. So I guess we'll just wait
I'm starting to think my test being a false positive is less and less likely
I'm so sorry for the incessant questions but I called my doctor to set up an appointment for him and my doctor said he doesn't do one time patients. His doctor doesn't even know what type-specific testing is. And my boyfriend has said he doesn't want to miss work to keep getting tested. I'm at my end right now with all this. Do you have any suggestions of where we can go to get him the correct testing? Can he go to that lab that I went to for my western blot but get the igg type-specific instead?
Your boyfriend can order this test online without a doctor's order.  There are many different sites where this can be done.  Just be absolutely certain that it is type specific.  Most STD testing sites only do type specific testing, but some do IgM testing, which you want to avoid!  You can get this done quickly.

Terri
Terri,

Would you advise doing follow-up testing at this point? We both are just tired of the up and down and yes and no and he isn't wanting to buy a test online. With a positive igg by him (even though combo) and my positive igg, it's a pretty safe call to say we both have it, right?
I'm so mad and frustrated, I broke down crying. Where are my test results going to? I called Quest Labs and the said my ordering physician, you were technically my ordering physician so does that mean you'll get them? If so, how am I supposed to find out the results. My relationship is pretty much over because I can't trust him anymore and all of this uncertainty has made me distant and angry.
Your test results will come to me, yes, I ordered them .  You might have forgotten, but I told you it would take 2-3 weeks for them to come back and I would call you with the results.  

It doesn't sound like the test ordering error is your partners fault.  
I would certainly advise him to still get a type specific HSV 2 antibody test.  If he would prefer not to do it online, we can order it for him through Roger at the clinic.  However, it is very simple to do online, I promise.

Terri
We broke up and he isn't going to seek out further testing. So I guess we'll have to wait for my test results and then wait another 4-6 months for follow-up? God, what a nightmare... Thanks for your support and help!
Your boyfriend could definitely be positive for HSV 2.  Is the timing such that if he is positive, that he infected you?

Terri
Well, I don't know anymore. I told you about the assault and you said you didn't think I could have gotten it from that being that I got tested just shy of four months post assault. I've only been with my former fiance and my current/ex boyfriend so it would have to be the assault or him. He said he will retest when he has the time but that he is not concerned with it. SO I don't know I have a huge headache from this all. I guess we can only wait.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I have it, I guess.
We'll just have to wait and see, yes.

Terri
Thank you Terri!!! Just got my results from you.. updating people who might check the board... mine came back negative for type two and positive for type one... I am getting the boyfriend tested tomorrow and will post his results when they come in because I know a lot of people like to read outcomes.. I can't thank you enough for making this less confusing and traumatic for me.. you're an angel!
I'm so glad you are happy, and that we were able to get that confirmatory test accomplished.  I hope everyone who has an index value between 1.1 and 3.5 gets their results confirmed.  

Now we just need to know your boyfriend's test results so we can be certain that there is no current risk of infection for you.  Let me know.

Terri
Terri,

They say we need a physician's order to get testing for him. I'm trying to get him an appointment for tomorrow morning via that site you recommended through labcorp. Any advice?
There are many many online testing services for which you do not need a physician order.  Keep looking.  Just type STD testing into Google, and several will come up.  They just facilitate ordering the test, they don't actually do them, they send you to a reputable lab, so just about any testing service will be OK.  

Terri
OK, Terri!!

Good news and then a question to close this thread! Good news is that my boyfriend (he had received a combo igg test that was positive at 9.83 I believe) got back his igg type one and two separate tests and the result was positive for type one at 2.86 and negative for type two. SO we now know that we both have type one...I figured we would both be pretty immune so to speak from spreading it to other body parts and then...

Today, in the middle of the day, I noticed a throbbing feeling in my palm. I've developed a legion that looks like what my cold sore looked like on the base of my palm. It feels just like that cold sore felt months ago, a bit tender, painful to the touch and just one red pimple like bump...no multiple legions or clear blisters. I've put antiseptic spray and a bandage on it since the spray cleared up cold sore. So my question is what is this bump?? Is this herpes related? I also just started my period today and I know that those sometimes coincide. Or worse, syphillis (syphilis) related? I'm so run down by this exhausting month and I just want to make sure I'm healthy.

Thanks Terri
Also.. he did have a positive igm...but that's useless right?
Herpetic whitlow (herpes on the hand) most often makes a very obvious blister.  If you have concerns about this bump, please go to see your health care provider ASAP for a swab test.

Terri
Well, it's definitely a very obvious bump. I'll go to my provider tomorrow but I'm guessing they won't be of much use since it's going down a bit. I'm really having a hard time telling where my hsv1 is! I have no characteristic clear blisters that break and scab, just these singular giant bug-bite looking blisters that hurt and go away in 2-5 days.

Thanks for all the advice!
Sorry Terri!
One remaining thought...if I ever want to get tested in the future...will I always get false positives for type 2 on igg or can I just use that test should I ever need to test again
I think there is a good chance that you will also get a false positive on your HSV 2 result, yes, at least that is what we have seen with other patients.

Terri