Herpes Community
Questions about CMV ctyomegalovirus

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Questions about CMV ctyomegalovirus

I have recently been diagnosed as having a primary CMV infection. I am just wondering how this is acquired.

1) If you have never been exposed to CMV before can you catch this from anyone who has ever had CMV at some point in their life (ie; by french kissing) ?

2) so, once you have had CMV are you infectious with this for life and can spread to others who have not had exposure before ?

3) If a primary CMV coinfection existed with primary HIV would the illness likely before quite severe ?

4) Does CMV have the potential to delay a HIV seroconversion (produce false negative results inside 3 months) ?

I hope someone can help me answer these, thanks in advance.

well I asked them to move this to a more appropriate forum but I'm guessing there isn't one.  this forum is more herpes than cmv.

cmv is usually transmitted through  body fluids - urine and saliva as adults.  most of us contract it by the time we are adults. It's usually not a big health risk unless you are pregnant and contract it or are immunocompromised.  

no cmv won't delay hiv seroconversion at all as far as I"m aware. Nothing about the way cmv works that would delay it.

what testing did you have done?

why were you tested?

grace
Thanks for the reply, yes I think CMV should maybe have its own forum here.

Are you able to help me answer Q's 1 + 2 ? I want to know if you can catch this from someone who has to have an active infection or from anyone who has ever had CMV in the past.

I had unprotected sex with a female of unknown status, a few weeks later had persistent headache, tingling and numbness of hands, extreme thirst, dry mouth, fatigue, body aches. I went for full STD check at 7 weeks after incident, all came back negative including HIV which gave me some relief. The HIV test was an Abbott Architect Ag/Ab 4th gen.

I was still experiencing aching feet and legs plus fatigue at 9 weeks so I went to see my doctor for full cbc and specific viral tests. It came back positive for CMV and avidity testing showed it was a primary infection from within 3 months.

I have heard that a 6 week HIV test is pretty conclusive (especially 4th gen tests) although need to wait 12 weeks for definite all clear. My concern is if the CMV infection I have could have interfered with the 7 week test I had or could delay production of HIV antibodies ?
I am 35 year old heterosexual male, also have lost 5kg in last 4 weeks I'm guessing due to the CMV.
no reason to think that your hiv results were falsely negative from cmv infection.  Up to you if you want to repeat your testing or not. A one time encounter is incredibly low risk for hiv transmission.  

yes you can contract this from anyone who's had cmv. that's the nature of herpes family viruses - they reactivate periodically and shed to be transmitted to others.  

Most of us don't even realize we have contracted cmv when we get it. Indeed that general feeling of "did you get the number of the bus that ran over me"  that comes with most illness can linger for a few weeks and make you lose weight and feel awful but if it's 2 months post possible infection and you are still feeling this awful and losing weight, certainly you need to continue following up with your provider every few weeks as needed.  
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers