Questions about contracting Genital HSV 1
I have had HSV 1 since I was a child and barely get break outs any longer. I recently dated someone and may have given him HSV 1 genitally via oral sex. He had a break out but his doctor unfortunately only gave him antifungal meds and it eventually healed.I had no symptoms but was tested and tested negative. However, I didn't do enough research at the time, and only tested for HSV 2.  After the breakout was gone, we had unprotected sex again, and he soon broke out again.  This time I was itchy around the anal area, but nothing more. This time his doctor gave him meds for both chlamydia and herpes simultaneously. He didn't take a swab for testing. A month later he was tested for HSV 2 by a blood test and tested negative or inconclusive.  But of course, he couldn't have HSV 2 from me, although it could be in his system from another partner.   What I am worried about is whether I may have given it to him, and then he gave it to me in the genital region. Is there a chance of that?
How accurate are tests for genital HSV 1? Should I make him get a test for that?
This still won't solve my problem however because I still don't know whether I have been infected. And from my reading, I can't take a test to differentiate between HSV 1 oral and genital, correct? If I get tested, I'll probably just test positive for HSV-1 since it's been in my system for years.  
I am now starting to date someone new and don't know how or what to tell him.

Please advise.
he certainly should get tested for hsv1 to know his status. if he tests + for hsv1, no way to know if it's oral or genital though so he needs to make sure that if he gets a return of genital symptoms, he is seen within 48 hours of their appearance and insists on a lesion culture and typing.

as for your new partner, he'll need to seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing too to know his status.

grace
Couples don't ping pong shared HSV-1 infections back and forth. So, if you did give HSV-1 to your former partner genitally through oral sex then he would not pass it back to you genitally since you have HSV-1 orally. However, it would be best in the future for you and your new partner to get tested for HSV-1 and HSV-2 as Grace pointed out.
Thank you for your reply.  I thought I saw on this site and perhaps others, that even if you have HSV1 one orally, you were not 100% guaranteed or immune to getting HSV1 genitally.  It seems like the chances are small, but it could happen.  Is there somewhere that you read this data, or where I can find it myself? I would be so relieved to know for sure.
Thank you.
it's not 100% but it's pretty close.  

would I worry about contracting hsv1 genitally if I already had it orally? Not at all.  Usually just avoiding sex any time your partner has a recurrence genitally is all it takes.