Herpes Community
RAZOR BUMPS OR STD

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

RAZOR BUMPS OR STD

I had protected sex (condom) about 6 days ago, my partner was on her period and some of her blood was on my pubic area which i shaved earlier that day. 2 days later pimple like bumps showed up on the pubic area (not on the penis) that i shaved. a cause for alarm? and can u still get herpes even if u use a condom
heres a picture
[IMG]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/paco0x/100_0439.jpg[/IMG]
i posted a pic of the bumps in my profile doc
Genital Herpes does not necessarily occur on the penis or scrotum.  It can basically occur anywhere within the "boxer/underwear" region.  

Since you had protected sex, it lowers your chances of contracting HSV if your partner was indeed infected.  Your best bet is to (1) consult a doctor and get a type specific IgG blood test for HSV-1 and HSV-2, and (2) talk to your partner about her sexual histroy.  Does she have any reason/encounter in which she could have contracted GH?  Has she recently been tested?  

Since you have current symptoms, I suggest you immediately see a doctor and get a swab/culture of your open sores before they heal.  This way you can get a definitive test done that will tell you if it is indeed herpes or not
the doctor couldnt decide wether its syphilis or herpes... gave a statement if you have herpes you would be crying in pain? the pattern of the of the bumps and the non pain could be syphilis... i have a apointment with the STD clinic tmrw
My GF has conveniently disappeared :(
i have herpes... ill live but ill be alone
what testing did they do so far on you?

grace
Yeah, Kenpachi, did you get your blood test results back?  Or did you get a swab/culture done?  Keep in mind that 1 in 5 patients who present with classic Genital Herpes symptoms do not have the virus.  Then again, I'm guessing you went to a clinic and was seen by another doctor.  You should definitely get a culture or blood test done to confirm any diagnosis.

Also, syphilis usually presents with one large sore that is painless, not multiple sores as you have.
I went to the STD clinic they drew blood and samples for every other STD but when i asked for HSV culture test the nurse practitioner was like let me see what you have, And she was like no need for the test thats defianetly herpes you got there looks like HSV so at that point i broke down and i was like your not even gonna test me to be sure... she was no im 100% that thats herpes... wrote me some medications for it and sent me on my way.

thanx LeapofFaith

im gonna have to get a third opinion from a doctor who will do the test i cant believe how much trouble it is to test for herpes.

your right! dammit she persueded me not to do the culture! should have stood my ground i have to call my family doctor today the only thing is im going to have to wait till monday to see him because his schuedule is full.
do you have to wait a certain time to do herpes blood test?
Wow.  I'm quite surprised and disappointed at that nurse practitioner.  I'm sure she is well qualified and has a great deal of experience, but if a patient asks for a blood test done a blood test should be done.  Yes, you should must definitely get a third opinion.  Although a visual diagnosis by a medical professional is reliable, it is the most inaccurate of all forms of diagnosis for herpes: a.k.a swab/culture or blood tests should be taken to confirm.  

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.  It must be incredibly frustrating, I'm sure.  You made the right decision by following up with your family doctor; if the blisters/ulcers are still present on monday make sure you get a swab / culture done.

To answer your question, an IgG type specific blood test should be taken.  However, the suggested elapsed time is 3 months; however, if you are showing active symptoms, it is possible that you will get a positive result on your blood test.  However, a culture of the open sores would be more conclusive.
one more question are new bumps soposed to show up when you have a outbreak?
Not necessarily.  Some outbreaks are immediately followed with a new round of blisters.  Again, herpes symptoms vary.  You should definitely have these new bumps inspected / swabbed by your family doctor on monday.
At this point it's getting to be too late for you to have a lesion culture done. If you already started medication, definitely too late.  

I recommend getting a type specific herpes igg blood test done now and then repeating it in a few months. That way if this was just a recurrence and not really a newly acquired infection, you'll get answers as to that too.  Odds are you were never tested for herpes prior to this.

also do not shave again for a few weeks until this has completely  healed.

grace
an apointment is set for monday with my family doctor, hopfully i will get some resolution.
im having alot of trouble contacting who is soposedble my GF... im worried since she was on her period and i recently shaved that day... a person has to have HIV in order to get HIV right?
is there really any special diferance between HSV1 and 2?
one for the mouth and the other is for genitals but it really doesnt matter HSV is HSV right?
correct - if your partner is hiv -, you just aren't going to get hiv out of thin air.

the main differences between hsv1 and hsv2 genitally is the recurrence and shedding rates. you still have to know which you have in order to decide what precautions to take with a partner though.  You can have either type in either location.

grace
i got my blood work back my doctor was able to tell me that this is my first episode... i have a check up in 4 weeks to draw blood to verify what type it is and decide what treatement i want.
if your igg was negative then this might be herpes going on. It would've been best if they had also did a lesion culture of your active symptoms.

If they are trying to tell you this is a newly acquired herpes infection because of a + herpes igm blood test, then that isn't accurate.

At this point, best you can do is wait and if you get a return of symptoms, be seen within 48 hours of their appearance and insist on a lesion culture and typing to be done. otherwise follow up on it with a repeat igg herpes blood test in 3 or 4 months.

any luck getting a hold of the gal in question to see if she'll get tested for herpes?

grace
okay so my herpes is on my pubic region is it possible that it will spread to my thighs and penis?
oh and my first episode has healed...
you can have lesions anywhere in the entire boxer short area over time. only time will tell where your ob's will typically occur.

grace