Herpes Community
Rash - Valtrex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Rash - Valtrex

I have had herpes one for ten years.  I never had an outbreak, but last month I had a small lesion on my penis, so I have decided to take 500mg of Valtrex for suppressive therapy daily.  I am wondering if I could be allergic to Valtrex.  I have a rash on both legs, inner legs. They looks like tiny red dots.  I also have a red rash under my genitals by the opening to the anus.  I had it swabed and the doctor said it was not herpes.  I upped Valtrex to 1500mg a day for five days and nothing happened.  Could I be allergic to the Valtrex and only have a rash on part of my body?  Any ideas what to do?  I thought it might be a herpes rash, but I would think after ten years, the rash would go away within 7-12 days.  It seems to be getting worse even using the Valtrex.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis      
Hello Dennis
Had you are herpes test 10 years ago? Am I right?. Do you have any drug allergy? At present you had swab test, is it negative? Possible you may allergic valtrex.

I found out ten years ago I have HSV1.  I restested recently and still have type one only.  I had the area swabed and they said it was not herpes.  I am allergic to aprprin and penicillin.  I don't think they are in Valtrex.  Not sure, though.

Dennis  
So you have herpes 1 on your face/mouth not herpes 1 on your genital area. You also had swab test which was negative according to this you don't have herpes on gential (genital) I guess. Allergic reaction can happen due anything soap, cosmetic, even my food. Better get test by Skin doc.
you should stop the valtrex immediately in case this is a drug reaction.

follow up with a dermatologist if your regular provider isn't able to figure out what is causing your rash.

you don't get a lot of "bang for your buck" with suppressive therapy and genital hsv1. it doesn't shed much and doesn't reoccur very often. if you've only had 1 ob in 10 years, you already know about the recurrence part first hand.

grace

I wrote a month agao about this subject.  I still have a rash and now my testicles are red.  This is very bizarre.  I went to a dermatologist and he thought it was a yeast infection and gave me Aloquin.  I am still wodnering if it is an outbreak.  I have had some type of rash in my genitals now since September.  Can yuo have an outbreak on your testicles?  I am thinking maybe I need to be tested again to make sure I do not have Herpes 2.  I was dating someone around that time.  I am starting to wonder if this is a HSV2 outbreak, but I am surprised it would be going on for almost 2 months.  Any advice?  

Thanks,
Dennis    
A rash lasting this long would not be herpes. Follow-up with your dermatologist - I know from experience that yeast can be hard to treat, and you may need a different product to treat it.