Herpes Community
Rash on forehead

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Rash on forehead

Approximately 3 months ago I was in Asia and had sex (vaginal, no oral) with a girl there.  On my way home I developed an acne like rash on my forehead which I ignored for a few weeks thinking it would go away.  When it didn't, I started to worry that it is herpes.  I made an appointment with my doctor but got impatient waiting a week to see him and went to urgent care.  The nurse practitioner there insisted that it isn't herpes, told me I have acne and gave me antibiotics.  A week later, when I went to my doctor, it had improved a bit and he said it didn't look like herpes.  However, it didn't go away and over the past 3 months it has gone back and forth in terms of severity.  I returned to my doctor last week and he said that it didn't look like acne and that he couldn't completely rule out herpes as the cause.  He did a bacteria and viral culture and both came back negative.  The rash has not spread, it's about the size of a silver dollar and it looks like acne with whiteheads.  It sometimes burns and the "whiteheads" sometimes take on a crusty texture.  My questions are:

1.  Could it be possible that I innoculated my forehead with HSV 2 if my hands came into contact with the virus?

2.  If it is HSV 2 does it mean that I have genital herpes?

3.  I asked my doctor if it turns out to be herpes would it mean that I have to start telling everyone about it before becoming intimate.  He said that he didn't think so because it is on my forehead.  If it is HSV 2 how likely would it be that I could pass it on to another sex partner?  

4.  After reading about herpes I find myself pretty torn over the issue of getting tested for it.  If I have my facts correct, 1 in 4 have HSV 2 and 90% of these people don't know they have it suggesting that most people are not getting tested.  Since having HSV 2 is somewhat medically insignificant but has the potential for creating a huge impact on relationships because of the stigma, quite frankly, if I did have it I would rather be part of the 90% who don't know.  Does this sound irresponsible?
This isn't going to be herpes going on there. It's been there for way too long for it to be herpes.  

At this point I'd stop thinking it's std related at all and just follow up with a dermatologist to try to figure out what is going on.

grace