Herpes Community
Really weird question - risky contact on public transport
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Really weird question - risky contact on public transport

Hi everyone,

I have a strange question.

A week ago today I was riding a public subway in a major metropolitan area. The subways are not sanitized unless someone uses a particular car as a bathroom.

A seat was vacated and I immediately took it. I was wearing a skirt sans nylons because I had ripped them pretty viciously and ditched them earlier in my commute. When I sat, I failed to smooth my skirt out behind me. My genital area touched the seat, which had been occupied for various people for the past several hours almost continuously.

I know herpes lives on surfaces for up to 8 hours. Could I have picked it up this way?

Thank you!
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Herpes does not live on surfaces for very long if at all. Absolutely no chance of herpes infection here
Blank
(I don't mean for this to sound at all offensive or like I am questioning your expertise!!!!) So there is no risk at all even though it was bare genitalia (ew, even I am grossed out by this!) touching a surface? :/
Blank
None, the virus cannot live on dry surfaces with exposure to oxygen. To be transmitted it must be rubbed into the skin firmly to have a chance of reaching a nerve ending.
Blank
Ahhh that makes sense -- I'd read studies indicating that the virus can live on damp towels. I guess "damp" was the key there.... which is a relief to me!
Blank
Damp is definitely the key... it is also a bit of a tale that towels represent even a modest risk.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...