Really weird question - risky contact on public transport
Hi everyone,

I have a strange question.

A week ago today I was riding a public subway in a major metropolitan area. The subways are not sanitized unless someone uses a particular car as a bathroom.

A seat was vacated and I immediately took it. I was wearing a skirt sans nylons because I had ripped them pretty viciously and ditched them earlier in my commute. When I sat, I failed to smooth my skirt out behind me. My genital area touched the seat, which had been occupied for various people for the past several hours almost continuously.

I know herpes lives on surfaces for up to 8 hours. Could I have picked it up this way?

Thank you!
Herpes does not live on surfaces for very long if at all. Absolutely no chance of herpes infection here
(I don't mean for this to sound at all offensive or like I am questioning your expertise!!!!) So there is no risk at all even though it was bare genitalia (ew, even I am grossed out by this!) touching a surface? :/
None, the virus cannot live on dry surfaces with exposure to oxygen. To be transmitted it must be rubbed into the skin firmly to have a chance of reaching a nerve ending.
Ahhh that makes sense -- I'd read studies indicating that the virus can live on damp towels. I guess "damp" was the key there.... which is a relief to me!
Damp is definitely the key... it is also a bit of a tale that towels represent even a modest risk.