Herpes Expert Forum
Recent test results

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Recent test results

14 years ago I was exposed to someone who said they had genital herpes, they did not specify the type.  I went to a doctor a month later thinking I had a yeast infection, she said she thought it may be herpes.  She did a swab, it came back negative.  Because I had a history of occasional cold sores, she told me no further testing was needed and basically, for 14 years I have been treating myself accordingly.  I take antivirals if I am involved with someone and honestly do not know for sure if I have ever had another outbreak.  My recent boyfriend, who I loved dearly, broke up with me after I told him there was a possible risk.  I was finally inspired to get blood work done.  The results are below.  Can you please verify what these results mean.  It is my understanding, after this much time ( and I have not had sex in 4 years so no recent risk of exposure), that the results are likely to be accurate.  Testing was done through Labcorp.
HSV-1-  igG level - 2.52 which they classified as high, but I have seen MUCH higher scores listed in my searching
HSV-2 - igG level- .90- which they said was negative.  

Can I rely on this data as being accurate. That I do NOT have HSV-2. And from what I have read, even my HSV-1 score is a low positive.  

Please help me understand these results better and advise as to whether further testing is necessary.  

Thanks in advance!!

I believe, based on these results, that you do not have HSV 2 infection.  The test picks up 97 our 100 cases, so it isn't perfect but very good.  The HSV 1 score is consistent with having cold sores from time to time in your life.

This is why we stress over and over to clinicians that you absolutely need an accurate lab test to diagnose herpes with certainty.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you.  At least you eventually found out the truth, which is good.  

What else can I do to help you?

Terri
So, for clarification, am I safe to say that these results do not suggest genital HSV-1 either?  
If you have had a history of cold sores, then the test results do not suggest that you have HSV 1 genitally, no.

Terri
Thank you SO much for your feedback!  I honestly can't believe I have gone 14 years believing I had it.  I always thought better safe than sorry. Sadly these results did not change my boyfriends mind about our relationship, but at least I will know for future ones.  :-). Again, thank you Very much for confirming my results.  I can breathe easier now.  
I'm sorry you've been going through this for so long.  
There must be more going on with your boyfriend than this or he's not open to new information - not a good thing anyway.  

Terri