Herpes Community
Recently diagnosed and confused

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Recently diagnosed and confused

I have just been diagnosed with HS1 (with result of IgG >8.0) what does that mean? Does it mean that I've had it for years? I never had any symptoms or outbreak. I've had unprotected sex most of the times since I was 16 I'm 24 now. And with my recent partner he's been using condom whenever he have sex. I have performed oral sex on him a lot of times. I am confused whether I got it from him or if I might have transmitted it to him. We've been together for 5 months now.

My test was done through a blood test. I just came in to the doctor to have all STD screening including for HIV and Syphilis. All came negative except for Herpes Type 1. My IgM Type 1/2 result is 1.11 which I know is positive.

The doctor didn't seem to be concerned about it, she didn't warn me about the possibilities of transmitting it to my family, and she didn't even ask me if this is something that she should bring up to my mom 'cause my mom is also her patient. I am really confused and scared I feel like my life is over knowing I have a virus that's in my body forever. The only thing is I never had an outbreak before. The doctor also mentioned that I may never have an outbreak since I never had it. She didn't inform me that Oral Herpes is common here in the US.

Should I tell the guy too? We're not in good terms anymore as of now since I "ruined" his trust for something that happened last week. I just feel like if he can't forgive me and accept for that one incident why should I bring this up to him knowing that he would blame me if ever he has it already.

I'm just thinking if I got this from one of the guys that I've had unprotected sex with, I probably would have Genital Herpes not just Oral Herpes. And no, I had never received an oral sex from anybody before.

Help please...
most adults will test + for hsv1. For the  majority of people it's an oral infection and we don't actually consider oral herpes to be a std since it's most commonly transmitted through non-sexual contact. you can however transmit hsv1 to the genital area through oral sex which is why knowing your status and that of your partner is important.  http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  has terrific info on oral herpes for more reading.

as for how long you've had it, you could've contracted it when you were a small child or from someone you've kissed in your lifetime.

grace
Thank you that was really helpful. I told my mom about my condition now if ever they have it too they would probably think they got it from me.
more likely the other way around actually!!