Herpes Community
Rectal pain and lesions

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Rectal pain and lesions

Dear Dr.
I have had only one partner, my husband for 30 yrs. I had shingles one time on my butt cheek in 1980s. Several years after I had my child I began having numbing painful lesions on just one small area beside my rectum. I would also swell on the inside and the pressure was unbearable. Went to Family Dr and he said it looked like Herpes.Gave me Zovirax. I t would help I guess, but it took at least 2 weeks to heal. Over the years it has been the same scenario. The unusual fact about the outbreaks is that they come on away from home when I am unable to use my bidet. I have to wipe so much I bleed and sometimes the fecal matter burns me. I also now have numb areas there when I am healed. I was told by my Dr. that herpes does not move to different areas. My problem has gotten worse and bigger area all around the rectal area now. I was just recently staying for a long period away from home and developed one of the worse bouts ever. I went to the er and NP said she thought I had infected hair follicles and possibly yeast, she really didn't seem to sure to me. She gave me two creams to use, Nystatin and Mupirocin. They seemed to make very intense itching. I have used for two days and could'nt stand the pain any longer so I stated my Zovirax and applied lidoderm patches at times which help alot.My husband has no signs of the problem. Would you please give your opinion of what to do and what it could be? Thanks in advance.
Sincerely, K
so have you ever been properly tested for herpes to know your status or just assumed it's herpes?  has hubby been tested to know his status too?

have you ever tried daily suppressive therapy?

At this point it's time for a gastroenterology consult to get a better idea of what is going on.  

grace
Thanks Grace, I appreciate your input. The only problem is when I need to see a specialist I can't get in for two to three weeks, Is there a test I can have at my primary and then go to the specialist from there? Hubby has never been tested. Since he's never had symptoms he doesn't believe he caused it. I have no way of knowing how I got it. This diagnosis nearly cost me me marriage when I first found out. I have never tried daily therapy. I have fibromyalgia and I feel so bad every day, would it make me feel worse?
K
I also wanted to know if this will continue to spread if this is herpes? Since I was told at one time it does not. Can you tell me the pattern? I'm so affraid it will spread to my vaginal area.
K
It's already in your vaginal area. When you were infected, the entire nerve group that controls things from the waist down was infected with the virus.  

odds are this isn't herpes causing all your symptoms. Start a follow up now with the GI doctor and then if symptoms aren't present when you are seen, typically they can at least get you in faster when you do have them again. so many things can be causing these symptoms.

hubby should still get a type specific herpes igg blood test done. you two can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what. Of course if he had been tested when you were diagnosed, you would've had better answers then about who gave it to whom, or at least known if it came from him or not. A lack of symptoms doesn't mean a lack of infection by no means. did you have proper testing done or just a visual diagnosis of herpes?  If it was just a visual diagnosis, you certainly need to confirm it. several different conditions that are common in women with fibro that can cause all sorts of genital issues too.