Herpes Community
Recurrent outbreak hsv-2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Recurrent outbreak hsv-2

I am having my first HSV-2 recurrent outbreak after being infected in November 2007.  I am on Valtrex daily 500 mg.  I have one sore.  I had no idea an outbreak was coming on.  I had sex one day before outbreak.  My questions.  How much at risk is boyfriend for contracting it 1 day prior to outbreak?  How long do I wait until I am safe to have sex again with boyfriend.  I want to protect him completely and he knows.  Also, I am having a lot of discharge.  Is this normal for a recurrent outbreak?  Also, should I be taking 1G for a few days to treat recurrence?
With valtrex it's 500mg 2x/day for 3 days for ob's currently.

You should wait until the skin is completely normal to resume having sex.

If you continue to have discharge - see your provider this week to make sure there's not a vaginitis going on triggering the obvious recurrence.  

grace
Avatar n tn
Grace, thanks for the quick response.  I just read one of your post called - Herpes Misconceptions.  In the post you mentioned that as you get older, you might find you have more outbreaks.  I was under the impression that the outbreaks would become fewer as I got older.  I thought the more you have outbreaks, the less virus is still in your body.  Also, how often do you personally have outbreaks now with suppressive therapy?  Also, I was testing low positive for months and my final test came back at 2.87.  I guess with my genital lesions it is more than certain now, but I saw waring's comment about the numbers being raised to 3.0, 3.5.  Any thoughts are appreciated.
I'd have to search to see what my prior responses were to your questions about the 2.87 result but I'm pretty sure I would've recommended the WB - did you ever follow up on that?  I can't imagine there is anything else I could possibly tell you that I haven't already.  

If you are wondering if you really have hsv2 or not - a culture of symptoms is quicker and cheaper than a WB but with being on suppressive therapy - you need to get that culture done asap and before you start taking a higher dose of valtrex.

grace