Herpes Community
Recurring Rash

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Recurring Rash

I have been struggling with a recurring rash for several years and I have no clue what it is. The rash is just above my genital area where my boxers waistline is. When I went to see a dermatologist he said that it was most likely a nickel allergy and gave me a steroid cream. However, now that I have covered the buttons to my jeans with multiple band-aids (to cover the button) I still get this rash. It can last a little as a day and sometime for a couple days. The rash is basically raised skin and sometimes tiny fluid filled bumps. It doesn't itch or burn. My guess now is that it could be an allergic reaction to the elastic in my boxers. Its hard to tell.

I feel like I will never get to the bottom of this! Any help is appreciated.
this sounds like a contact dermatitis more than it does herpes.

have you ever been tested for herpes to know your status?

grace
I remember doing a blood test a while ago and everything came back negative. I should probably do another one when I see the doctor next.

What confuses me is that I only get the rash in one area (a few inches below my belly button). So if I was allergic to the elastic in my boxers I would think that I would have the rash in multiple areas? I've also tried different boxers with extra fabric around the waistband (Hanes ComfortSoft) but that doesn't seem to make a difference. If I do have herpes I must have very mild symptoms but it seems odd that I would have it only where my waistline is. I'm very confused.
this doesn't sound like herpes going on.  continue to follow up with a dermatologist regularly as needed.