Herpes Community
Recurring outbreaks and suppressive therapy

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have had recurring outbreaks of herpes on my forhead for about 10 years now. Every new doctor I see seems to be surprised by this. Some say it's shingles and some say it's herpes, though from research I believe it's more likely herpes. The outbreaks are dime-sized, last about a week, and are more embarrassing (impossible to hide) than painful. Lately, the outbreaks have been occurring more frequently, three times in the past 6 months. I'm ready to look into suppressive therapy. What would you recommend for suppressive therapy? I'm in my early 30's and otherwise perfectly healthy. Thank you for your guidance!
shingles doesn't reoccur like this.

have they been doing cultures of your symptoms to know that it's herpes going on?

grace
accidentally posted this to the wrong comment..so here it is again:

I was tested about 10 years ago and it was found to be herpes. However, doctors I have seen since then have speculated it is shingles, or agree it is herpes. I prefer not to have the blister tested (again) as I don't want it aggravate it. I am seeing a doctor today to discuss treatment options but want to be armed with information and possible treatments before I go. The reason I ask about suppressive treatments is because most information I have found addresses only genital herpes (which I don't have).
I'll remove that other one for you :)

I'd definitely get a pcr swab of your symptoms within 48 hours of the appearance of symptoms.  even though you've had a lesion culture previously, just make sure it's still the cause at this point. you can have hsv1 recurrences in the forehead area, just less common.  

daily suppressive therapy is helpful somewhat for hsv1.   it seems to work  better for hsv2 than it does hsv1 in the facial area but it still does help.  certainly it's worth a try. acyclovir is your cheapest option for suppression. valtrex is your most convenient. don't hesitate to call your pharmacy and ask what the price of valtex 1gm , 90 pills would be to see if it's reasonable or not. Easier to take a pill once a day than twice. I'd go with the higher 1 gm dose just because it's hsv1.  

Thank you, Grace. Sounds like the first step is getting it tested again. Definitely ready to try a new treatment approach! I appreciate your advice and will take this information to my doctor.
best of luck!!!