Herpes Community
Red Rash on bum cheek

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Red Rash on bum cheek

Hi there,

I have been sick with worry the last 3 days, I hope you can shed some light on my situation. I have had cold sores HSV1 for about 10 years now. The infrequently flare up and are not really an issue. I know therefore that I have been HSV1 positive for about 10 years.

I ahve always been careful with protection during sexual activity but since I ahve been sexually active since 18 (I am now 32),  I can only assume I have been put at some risk at some point,none the less.This is where my fear of herpes comes from.

About 4-5 years ago,, I noticed a red rash with little yellow pin heads in my pubic hair about a cm from where the hair line starts,right in the middle and about 2 cms from the skin folds. The rash then scabbed over and dissappeared in about 10 days. I was convinced this was herpes and when I spoke to my doctor is said it was most likely a fungal or bactarial infection, due to the location (he said Herpes in women forms mainly on the vulva and genitials and either way it is not normally associated with the pubic hair in the 1st outbreak). I have never had any blister or sore, itching, pain, redness in any area around the vagina or labia at any stage. He perscribed a cream and the symptons cleared fairly quickly. I also expressed worry about infecting my pubic hair from one of my cold sores, he again thought this unlikely. He also said that since I had HSV1 for 10 years, it was again unlikely that I would contract HSV1 below the waist.

Over the past 5 years, this has reoccured about 4 times in the same spot so I visted another doctor, who said the exact same thing as my orginal doctor. He advised it may be recurring Follicitius and also advised again herpes would not normally occur in the pubis with women who haven't had a primary outbreak in the vaginal/vulva/labia region. I went home fairly confident that I did not have herpes. He also perscribed cream that if I felt the rash starting to itch, I applied it and that was it, it went away. I ahven't had this rash for over a year now.

The lastest development is that about a year ago, I got a rash in the middle of my right bum cheek. I had no unsual sexual contact prior to this, as I was with my boyfriend for 3 years. It went away in about 10 days also. It left a red/purpely/silvery scar for some time that was still vaguely visible months after. About a year later (3 days ago), the rash appeared again in the more or less the same place. It looks like a red itchy, irrated piece of skin, with tiny yellow spots. It looks like it is beginning to heal. It's not sore, it's just that I know it's there.

I have heard and read some may conflicting stories but hope that the orginal diaginosis I received from 2 GP's for the rash in my pubic hair is correct. I don't really want to go back to them again about this as we seemed to resolve it at the time. But is this new rash on the top of my bum cheek related? I suffered badly with ezcema (eczema) as a child, had chicken pox's and my sister has chronic psorasis. Could it be something do do with that. On both occassions I got the rash on my bum cheek, I was wearing nylon thighs with a skirt at work, that is the only correlation in the outbreak of the two bum cheek rashes.

Any information or light you could shed on this would be great - I am going out of my mind with worry, that I have now either HSV1 or 2 in my pubic hair and bum cheek. My soctors appointment is not till next week.

Kind regards
You are very unlikely to contract hsv1 genitally since you have it orally. if you want to know if you have hsv2 so that you can put your fears to rest for once and for all, ask for a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your status is

grace