Herpes Community
Red breakout on my chest

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Red breakout on my chest

Hello...I often get a round red breakout on my chest.  I was diagnosed with herpes 2 many years ago - but only had 2 breakouts in 7 years.  About a year ago, I started getting this round red breakout on my chest.  It does not have blisters and is no itchier than a mosquito bite.  But I get very sick - like seasickness and am really miserable for 1-3 days.  These breakouts happen when I might cut myself - or my dog nicks me (by mistake of course - when we are playing) or sometimes for no reason at all....I am so disgusted.  I lose a week of my life when these breakouts happen.  Is this herpes?  What can I do...Thank you
The only way to know if this is herpes would be to be seen as soon as it starts for a lesion culture and typing.  It would be very unusual for herpes to start showing up on the chest 6 years into being infected.  Odds are it's something else.

When you were diagnosed as having hsv2, what testing did they do?

grace
Thank you for your reply...When I was first diagnosed, they did a culture on a "blister" that I had on my back....just above my buttocks....I had one more breakout - the same place - like a blister - not even bothersome...That was Oct 2002...then as I say, last year I got this red blister on my chest - and have had nearly one incident a month....When I had my pap test, I got this "thing" on my chest - when I get a cut I get it...I don;t even know where to begin with this .....It really makes me feel sick - like seasickness....WHAT could it possibly be other than herpes....Thank you
All sorts of things could be going on.  It certainly needs proper follow for but unfortunately unless you have the chest rash, no easy way to follow up on it.

Did they type your culture as hsv2 or just as hsv+ and assumed hsv2 since it was genital?

grace
It was so long ago - but I am pretty sure it was hsv2 - I was put on Valtrex for 2 weeks - If I recall.....Then had a breakout shortly after - took Valtrex again - then never had a breakout again......I am really ashamed of this ....I go into hiding when this happens...One other thing....The last 2 times I got this on my chest, I noticed a darkening under my eye...I was not sure if this was my imagination - but this last time (just this past week) the darkness under my eye got bigger and is definitely connected to this red patch on my chest....It is the same as the redness on my chest - no blisters or weeping....just ugly - tiny bit itchy - barely noticeably itchy....I would not even know I had these breakouts - but they are so "in my face" - now literally !
dark circles under the eyes ( besides being a sign of being tired ) are typically associated with allergies more than anything.

If you have the red patch on your chest, go and be seen and have it looked at.

Definitely find out if your lesion culture was typed. Only ever having 2 ob's it could be hsv1. You need to know what type you have in order to assess risk with future partners.  

Have you ever considered talking to someone about the way you feel about your herpes?

grace
Grace, thank you so much for your talking with me.  Absolutely no one knows about this.  I carry it with me alone....I do not think I could talk to someone about it....Let me explain about the redness under my eye...It is the same color red as the blotch on my chest - I made it seem like darkness - but it comes and goes with the blotch on my chest...They are definitely related ...It is just that the eye blotch did not show up until about 3 months ago - while the chest blotch has been going on for a year.... It is just that this is the newest wrinkle with this "thing"  ....I am chuckling about "future partners"  I have not have sexual relations in over 10 years ....It was 3 years after my last sexual encounter that I found the original blister on my back.....When the doctor said it was herpes, I said impossible...It has been 3 years since I was with anyone...Of course I now know it can stay dormant for many years...as was my case....Fortunately I was  not "active" during all those years....
I really encourage you to buy Terri Warren's new book "the good news about the bad news" . It's awesome at covering all the "little" things about living with herpes like how to bring it up with a partner, how to deal with the mindwarp it can do to you as well as how to make transmission to a partner minimal.  for instance if you have a male partner who doesn't have hsv2, you take suppressive therapy,avoid sex anytime you have symptoms as well as use condoms, his risk is on average 1%/year. That's the same risk as you getting pregnant while only using the pill to give you something to compare it to.  It really isn't a huge issue in general.

Your description of symptoms sounds like they are not related at all to herpes. Definitely follow up on them all since they not only worry you but also are making you noticeably ill .  I don't know about you but I certainly don't have time to take to my bed for a week at a time when sick!

grace

Thank you once again.....You are the first person I have ever spoken to in all these years.  I appreciate your telling me about relationships.  But I think I am past that - but thank you sincerely .....When this chest blotch shows up, I will have it tested...Since the redness near my eye has shown up, I am very worried that it is working itself up my body and my brain will be next....This month, the left side of my face got swollen from the red blotch near my eye!!!  Very worrying !!! ....I was really afraid of meningitis.....

Thank you so much....I just happened to find this site....I will be back again...
If your face is swelling, you definitely need to follow up on this promptly even if it means going to the ER and not waiting for your regular doctor.  This definitely is more than herpes going on!!!

We are always here - keep talking as you need to :)

grace
Hi Grace,

Thank you again for your response.  The swelling has gone down now...It lasted about 2 days...I put ice on it....I do not need to go to the ER now because it has gone away.  Next month when I get that 50cent size red blotch, I will have it cultured. ..I will let you know...Thank you again....