Herpes Community
Red itchy rash near mouth after sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Red itchy rash near mouth after sex

Hi I am a bit concerned and would really appreciate some advice.  Three days ago I had protected sex with a sex-worker, but unprotected oral sex.  The next day I woke up with body aches on all my muscles, mainly my upper body and neck, as If I had a hard workout at the gym.  That same day I saw red blotches near my mouth (pics at end of post), then today they have started itching.  I have had HSV-1 for years now, very rarely do I have outbreaks, last one must have been more than a year ago, and they have never looked like this, usually they are cuts on the side of my mouth never have been rashes.  Due to the timing of this, I am now afraid I may have caught an stdfrom this sex worker.  Does this look like an HSV-1 outbreak?  Could it be that I have caught HSV-2 from her?  Could it be something else?  I also have some itching in my scrotum, but no rashes, and nothing visible, nothing out of the ordinary, could be unrelated but it could also be related.  Advice is greatly appreciated.

Pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/7vaHz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AmjUG.jpg
Hi Phaed, did you give the unprotected oral or receive it? The muscle aches are most likely from the protected sex especially the neck area from bending and stuff.
did not see the pic yet
Hi Life, thank you for your quick response.  I gave it :(
My cheeks on my face have also started to itch.  
Also yesterday I had itching on my nose and on my arms.  Not sure if its related
So reading at herpes.com and it says that almost 100% of HSV-2 infections are genital, on top of this it says if you have HSV-1 oral, then getting HSV-2 oral is much harder.  This makes me think that maybe I didn't get HSV-2, rather it could be something else.  What else can show up like what I have on the pics I posted so soon after giving oral?  
Also I just noticed that I may have an enlarged lymph node starting up on my armpit, I have a slight pain there.
we don't look at pictures here. why not is explained in our read before posting post on the forum.

this doesn't sound at all like herpes going on.  

see your provider for a proper exam to find out what is really going on.

have you ever been tested for herpes before or do you just assume the oral symptoms you get oral herpes?

grace
Oops, didn't catch that thread.  Just read it.  It's just pic of the side of my face showing a slightly red discoloration on my skin, so no harm done.  

I went today to get checked, but they asked me to wait a month and to maybe go see a dermatologist.  Yes I have tested myself numerous times, always show HSV-1, I caught it from my dad many many years ago while sharing a cup when he had a sore on his lip and I had coincidentally bit my tongue around that time.  Couple days later my entire mouth was full of sores so much that I could barely talk.  

Could this thing I caught be a bacterial infection of some sort, maybe yeast?  Would it be wise to ask the dermatologist for some antibiotics just in case?
I wouldn't take any antibiotics at all.

this can be just irritation that will take a few days to stop, a viral infection or even a fungal infection going on.   sounds like the provider you saw today saw nothing at all to treat?  

try taking benadryl for a few days and see if that helps with the itching at this point too.
Thanks Grace I will try that :)

Actually I went to a "prevention" counselor/nurse at the clinic and I told her what happened and showed her the discoloration on my skin, and she told me I had herpes.  I asked her if it could be something else like fungus or yeast and she flat out said, no you have herpes.  Keep in mind that I am in Peru and here unless you are paying top dollar at top notch place you are not getting quality healthcare, so after reading up on all the different things the discoloration could be, her flat out dismissal of any other possibility kinda put me off as her not really knowing what she is saying or maybe throwing me a scare tactic.

So in the next few days I am going to visit a dermatologist and then wait the month to get myself checked for STDs.  
I have had many herpes sores on my mouth from HSV-1, none that looked like this.  Still I am worries as it did happen after giving oral.  Would an HSV-2 outbreak look different than an HSV-1?
just discoloration usually isn't herpes at all.  

hsv2 orally would present for you as a recurrence of your usual cold sores.
That makes sense.  Thanks.
How long does the prodroma stage last.  Could it be I still have not seen a sore but may in the future?
You would've aad obvious cold sore with a day or two of prodromal symptoms
My genital area still itches on and off, but no sores of any kind.  The lymph node on my armpit is a tad more painful now, still small.  And inspecting one of the red blotches on the side of my face, I can see a minuscule almost imperceptible little cut.  I am starting to think this may indeed be herpes now :(
stop looking so much!! the more you look, the more you'll notice and be anxious about needlessly!!  a cut you almost can't see?  really?  how much obsession is that?
Yea I know I shouldn't but I cant help myself... found a sore on the outside of my anus, now I'm pretty sure I have herpes.  I scratched there the first day while I was scratching my face, think I just gave myself genital herpes :/  

So researching on this stuff, are the transmission rates on the bottom half of this article true?

http://www.hsvblog.org/herpes-simplex-virus-hsv-101/
If you have both HSV-1 and HSV-2 of the mouth and you get an outbreak.  Do you transmit both of them to the person?  Or only one?
typically  hsv1 orally reoccurs most often, not hsv2 orally.
Thanks.  Just read this recent post on reddit, even if I did get HSV-2. I don't feel that bad now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sex/comments/150svo/herpes/