Herpes Community
Red patches left after cold sores?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Red patches left after cold sores?

About two months ago I had my first set of cold sores and they were the worst ever my GP had seen. I was prescribed Valtrex and Acyclovir, and the sores disappeared in a few weeks. I still have these red patches on my lips where the worst cold sores were, though. When I was in the process of clearing up the cold sores, they broke open and bled a lot and very frequently (I had no idea what I was doing). I'm trying to figure out if what is left is contagious or if it's just a bad scar. The red patches are the same texture as the rest of my lips and looks just like my lips, just redder. They're also very sensitive. I haven't been able to kiss my boyfriend for the past two months because they're so tender. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Also, I have been tested for Herpes Simplex virus and it came back positive, so they were for sure cold sores. I had a biopsy recently on one of the red patches to find out what the issue was, and there were no viruses in the biopsy. Unfortunately, I think the biopsy spot has turned into a cold sore now.

Thanks y'all, let me know!
Hi, after the sore heals the virus hides in the oral ganglia so testing the past blister could show negative for the herpes. When test a lesion it is best swabed in the first 48 hours.
Lips are full of blood and nerves and could take a while to heal especially if they are being picked at. Even eating and drinking acid based things could cause an irritation in this area during the healing proces.
Your boyfreind should get tested also as if he is positive as many people are it will make your time together much easier knowing you can reinfect him.
He was actually the one that gave me the virus, so I know he's already positive for it!
Well now that you both have it you cant give it to eachother. But you need to find out if you have hsv1 or hsv2 and which he has also.
We both have HSV1.

But that's not necessarily part of this post. I'm curious if my red patches are scars because the sores were so bad or if they're something more.