Herpes Community
Red spots with black center on penis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Red spots with black center on penis

Wondering if any other men have had something like this before....I do not believe it was herpes and possibly some kind of yeast bacterial infection.

A few years ago I had a breakout (of some kind), twice actually after sex with my girlfriend at the time, of a cluster of red spots with a black center. Almost looked like thorns within these red dots. I even recall an odor along with this breakout. They did itch slightly but not very painful at all. The girl I was with had a constant problem with bacterial vaginosis. I cannot recall the actual time frame of the results but I did test for HSV-2 shortly after the break out and the test did come back negative. The physician at the time was not sure what the break out was after doing a quick exam.

This sort of thing ever happen to anyone else. Hard to find similar cases/stories online.
you had follow up testing that was only hsv1+ correct?  I think that's what I recall from reading your prior post on terri's forum.   no reason to think this was a herpes issue with your follow up testing being negative for hsv2.

grace
Oh...the spots were all over the head of my penis and some along the shaft. Again happened two times, cleared up without scabbing by itself.
You have a post with this for Terri.  Wait for her response to get your money's worth.  Though given the time on your post I don't know if she will make you do a new one.
Thank you

grace
This is correct. I am just not sure if the testing I had was done too soon after this strange breakout. Terri says it takes 4 months for antibodies to show in bloodwork. The test was somewhat reassuring and the symptoms never looked like blisters. I get cold sores and they weren't the same.
A couple other questions....

1) If it was HSV-2, would it be typical that I would have had other breakouts over the past few years? I realize everyone is different and some people never have them.

2) Is waiting 4 months just used for definitive results, and that any kind of earlier testing could or generally show some antibodies?

Thanks for your help.
your timer for posting on Terri's forum literally ran out as of today ( it's a 2 month limit on adding to posts on the expert forum ).  Even her reply to you got kicked off and ended up on this forum.

how long after your former partner had you had your testing done?
Oh I see...that's ok.

I honestly am not sure. It could have been a month later at most.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to get another blood test but the more I look around, especially here on this site, it seems unlikely that it was herpes. The negative test (may have just acted like a baseline test) and the fact that they were not blisters.

Anyways thanks for your help and advice.
if it was only 1 month then by all means repeat your blood test and go from there.  
Would anyone be able to tell me if what I described sounds like herpes? Would make me feel a lot better until I get another test.
we would only be guessing. really no way to tell just from a description of symptoms most of the time. cover your bases so you can move on past this :)
Thanks, Grace.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers