Herpes Community
Reducing likelihood of HSV-2 transmission

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

About a month ago I found out that I have genital HSV-1 and  have started dating a guy in the past couple of weeks.  We had a bit of an std chat while things were getting hot and heavy and he admits that he has HSV-2 with only one outbreak in the past year and he also said that he wasnt taking any medication to prevent transmission.  We have a doctors appointment scheduled for Friday but I would really appreciate any advice as I have only been researching HSV-1.  We had protected sex so Im confident that I am ok, I was extremely worried about telling him about my virus so I do not want to be a hypocrite and judge him but my body is having a hard time handling the HSV-1 with frequent outbreaks so the last thing I need is a double dose of it.  
I have been also diagnosed having HSV 1 genital. Can I be your friend.

Please see my email address. I have Private Message my email address. Please check. We can contact each other and discuss further.

I think you need to come clean with him!! As much as he can transmit HSV2 to you, you could transmit HSV1 to him!! You are less likely to transmit the infection to him since the shedding rate is lower but at the same time, he is more opt to shedding 2 to you if he isn't on Valtrex so you both need to sit down and be honest!! Stay protected, get on Valtrex and have fun!!!
Be honest with him.

It sounds like you just became infected recently. Your outbreaks should settle down, as most HSV1 genitally doesn't recur often, and some people never have outbreaks again after the initial one.

If he uses the daily medication and the 2 of you use condoms, you'll have a very low risk of contracting HSV2 from him. But you both need blood tests for both types to see where you are. You both also need STD testing for everything else.
I did tell him my status and its all good.  We are going for testing tomorrow night.  Can you tell me what happens if a person has both types on the genitals - would they get obs from both types (therefore frequent) or does HSV-2 ovverride HSV-1?

I guess the positive thing about my HSV diagnosis is that I now know a lot more about stds.  Im ashamed to admit that I knew nothing before and always though they happened to others, so at least Im not as ignorant nowadays and will hopefully protect myself from catching others types.

Herpes Treatment And Cure (Genital Herpes)

(Must Read. At Last There's A Cure For Herpes)

http://****.blogspot.com

Ok, we have been to the doctor who told us that bf is not eligible to receive suppressive therapy as he has only had one outbreak with the HSV-2 (the govt here dont like spending $ on it).  I was given Valtrex for HSV-1 and the doctor said that by my taking it, I am prevented from catching type 2.  Does this sound true?
No - you taking valtrex won't protect you from hsv2.

Your bf needs to find a provider who understands herpes and transmission better. he needs to let them know that he wants suppressive therapy to help reduce the transmission of hsv2 to his partner.  

grace
Abigail,

I hope you got Grace's last comment. It said:

Best of luck,.