Herpes Community
Remedies for Herpes OBs (oral and genital)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hi Terri,

I've recently been diagnosed with HSV1 (happened about a month ago and yes it's confirmed). I need advise on additional and preferably natural remedies to control OBs.

Background: I'm a 30yr old female and even though my partner and I used a condom, I caught the virus through kissing and oral sex. He didn't have an outbreak and didn't tell me he had HSV1 (confirmed after when I confronted him). Since I didn't have this before, I had a primary outbreak around my gums (2 painful blisters) and then 2 OBs around my lower lip (lots of tingling, no blisters but I noticed small bumps). Right after the primary outbreak in my mouth, I experience throbbing, tingling and itchiness around my clitoris followed by redness and what looks like small paper cuts (if examined closely) on my clitoris. I've since had a total of 3 OBs on my clitoris in 1 month, and this last one doesn't seem to be going away. It just tingles and throbs. It also looks moist and a bit red on one side.  I've already been a good number of days on antivirals when I first find out and the doctor doesn't want to give me anymore, and I was hoping my antibodies to kick in. What I need advice on is, what else can I do to fight this?

Currently I'm doing the following:
- avoiding alcohol (think it's a trigger for me) and esp wine
- sunblock for my lips
- Multivitamins + Vitamin C & B, Immune booster supplement which includes Astragalus, Garlic and other herbs, Coconut oil (in food..tried on the OB but it made it throb more though it seems to work for eczema or dry skin), Reishi mushrooms pills, and sometimes 1000mg of Lysine if I feel something is coming up (ate shrimp and ice cream today and a bit run down so lip started tingling)

Really hoping to get this under control. My body is not very good at fighting skin disorders (low white blood cell count, family history of eczema and iron deficiency). Also trying to deal with the emotional stress of all of this...not thinking the world is over is hard enough.

Please help!! And thanks for being here for people who are going through this. :)
this isn't Terri's forum. you have to pay to post on the herpes experts forum.

has your provider done any testing for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally with this lingering batch of symptoms this time?    also just to confirm - you had a + lesion culture for hsv1 initially genitally?

grace
Hey Grace, thanks for the clarification. Yes, all clear of yeast and bacterial infections. Full check up for everything else before and after the infection. Never had these symptoms before like this before and the look seems like what I've seen in pictures for more minor outbreaks.

No culture for HSV1 genitally as it showed up shortly after the confirmed oral one. But the similar tingling and everything seemed to speak for itself plus it was the area most exposed to the virus. Actually my oral one still tingles a bit too but it's not sore. The doctors where I'm at are not very good (one of them gave me a blood test that doesn't distinguish HSV1 and HSV2 when I had the primary infection and it obviously came back negative for that one since I didn't have antibodies). I can go back to get a swab or something else but I don't really trust they'll do an accurate or a good job. After the 1st OB down there, it went away and then I think was triggered by wine (a lot of tingling and then again redness and soreness).

Do you have any advice on how I can speed up the recovery?

Thanks!
the odds that you'd have 3 ob's in a month and it all be hsv1 related are pretty low in general. I recommend returning this week to be seen by a gyn and start a more thorough work up. a lesion culture to confirm hsv1 genitally would need to be done within 48 hours of the appearance of new lesions.

most folks do not have food triggers for genital herpes.