Herpes Community
Risk Level of Autoinoculation

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Risk Level of Autoinoculation

Hi, I am new to the site and looking for some feedback from anyone with knowledge on the subject.  I recently came down with what my primary doctor thinks is a case of oral herpes (going through first outbreak now).  I was shocked to hear this, as I have not kissed or been intimate with anyone in a while.  However, I am a competitive kickboxer and for the past several weeks I had been training extremely hard leading up to a fight I had on 3/9.  Since then, I have not been back to the gym or trained - as I was taking some time off after a grueling couple of weeks.  

A bit more background, I shaved my face on 3/16 and nicked my chin which bled a bit.  I didn't think much of it, as that happens from time to time, but a few days later I noticed the lymph node under my chin had become raised and the cut itself seemed to be expanding and looking infected.  I started using bacitracin, but it continued to get worse - and I actually noticed two small blisters filled with clear liquid.  The next morning I made an appointment with my doctor, but by the time she was able to see me the blisters had popped.  This concerned her a bit, and she swabbed them anyway - she explained that due to the sport I partake in it could be oral herpes (even though its on the underside of my chin).  However, she gave me antibiotics assuming it was not and asked me to schedule a follow-up (this was last Friday 3/22).  I started the antibiotics that day and continued them over the weekend - but I noticed that not only did the wound not appear to be getting better, but there were more blisters appearing.  I woke up this morning (3/25), and had several blisters filled with clear liquid around the wound.  I rushed to my doctor who was able to get a better swab (so should have more definitive answer - still waiting on the results of the first, btw).  And after looking at it, she said that although she cannot be sure, it is starting to look a lot more like herpes.

I have never had a cold sore in my life, and have been blood tested for HSV 1 and 2 in the past - both negative - so this is a little traumatizing at the moment.  But given the fact that the antibiotics (she prescribed Bactrim as she wanted to cover everything including MRSA) didn't work we can deduce this is likely viral.  Therefore (finally getting to my question), assuming the worst and this is herpes under my chin, what is the likelihood of me spreading it to other areas of my body, i.e. my genitals?  For instance, last night while watching TV I was scratching my neck (not far from the wound and blisters, may even have gone in that region a bit) - haven't been able to shave so my beard has become very itchy and then used the bathroom without washing my hands prior.  I have to assume that without even realizing it I have probably done that several times over the weekend.  I am very worried if this is herpes I may have spread it to my genitals.  Can someone please let me know the likelihood of this?\\

Thanks for all the help and guidance in advance - and sorry for the long winded post.
you really don't have to worry about this spreading to other body parts.

at this point, wait for your test results and go from there.

grace
Thanks for the feedback Grace.  I just got confirmation that the culture came back positive for HSV 1.  Also, the blood work my doctor had done showed that I was previously negative, so this is a new infection which I probably contracted during my last fight on 3/9.  

She described my infection as what is known as "herpes gladitorium", or "wrestler's herpes".  Given that, what is the likelihood that I will now be prone to get cold sores; or if and when I get recurrences is it likely to show up under my chin again in the same spot?  Also, now having confirmed that it is in fact HSV - and having not known that it was for about a week before the suspicion even arose, it is fair to say I may have touched my genitals and or mouth without washing up after toughing the sore.  Therefore, do you still think I should not be worried about spreading it to my genitals and or mouth?

I am a little worried right now, so want to make sure I take all proper precautions.

Thanks.

Thanks.
we still consider it oral herpes on the chin area.   you would take the same precautions with a partner that you would if you got cold sores on your lips. it's already on your mouth area so no worries about spreading it there. you won't spread it to your genitals either.  

have you checked to see if there are rules in the area you play in that require anyone with a known hsv1 or hsv2 infection to be on suppressive therapy when competing?

There are no rules that I am aware of in terms of suppressive therapy, but my doctor (who used to be the team doctor for the wrestling team at one of the universities in the area) suggested that anytime I am training heavily for a fight or actually fighting that I use suppressive therapy.  Otherwise she felt it is not necessary.

Also, just to clarify what you said in terms of recurrences - if and when I get additional outbreaks is it fair to say I only have to worry about it coming back on my chin, and not on my lips?  
they can come back anywhere from your nose to your chin.  

Thank you, Grace!
Grace, I have a somewhat related question to my previous posts.  I was on vacation in Washington DC this past weekend, and after a night of drinking made the mistake of having unprotected sex with a girl I barely know.  It was one night but we had vaginal intercourse three times.  I asked her about her status as it relates to all STD's including genital herpes, and she said she did not have anything.

However, I do know it's possible for people to have HSV and not know it and spread through asymptomatic shedding.  My question is: given that I have HSV 1 orally would I be more likely to acquire either HSV 1 or 2 on my genitals - if this girl had it?  How concerned should I be?

There were no open sores that I saw, and she was not in pain when having sex...but I am really worried I may have exposed myself.  As always, thanks!
you had unprotected sex so you need to be responsible and cover your std testing bases at the proper times. you can get tested for chlamydia, gonorrhea, trich and ngu after 1 week post encounter. syphilis after 6 weeks. herpes, hiv and hepatitis after 3 months. rather naive to trust someone who tells you they have nothing but are willing to have unprotected sex with you so follow up for your own health and that of your future partners.
Grace,

I was not sober and clearly wasn't thinking logically. I plan to follow up as needed. With that said, I am freaking out realizing how risky it was, so just looking to get some perspective as i wait the three months before i can test for herpes. Therefore I am wondering how likely am i to contract it on my genitals (either strain) given that I have it orally? Thanks.
it's always low risk of contracting herpes per encounter :)