Herpes Expert Forum
Risk of herpes

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Risk of herpes
Dear Madam,

In all I had 6 sexual partners till now. One of them is my wife and rest are either CSW or one night stands. I have never been tested of herpes and did not have any severe out break to remember. My sexual history is as follows -

1) In Oct 2008, I had sex with a CSW. I gave her cunnilingus but had protected fellatio and vaginal intercouse. It was so far off that I am not sure whether I had any blisters (particularly after the incident) in my mouth. For penis, I am sure that I had no blisters..

2) In July 2010, I had an unprotected fellatio and protected vaginal sex with a CSW. Again, it was so off in past that I do not remember  any blisters in my mouth but again no blisters on my penis or nor any clear symptoms.

3) Two other sexual incident involved neither kissing, nor oral and nor vaginal or anal intercourse. One of the lady gave me a  glove protected hand job that I think should be very safe.

4) My last encounter was on 4th May with a CSW. We kissed and we had protected oral and vaginal sex. I have developed small red spots on my penile glans. The spots are 4 in numbers. They are very small and does not look like blisters. The spots are from Saturday (11th May onwards). They have not grown in size from then...I am also having very strange sensation like vibration of nerve or vein right below my testicles. I am not sure the reason but can be because of my anxiety. Does it look like herpes? Please answer...I am very worried....

I have taken a blood test for HSV. The results are awaited. Can anyone tell me what are my risk factors here? Also, it will be great if I can have some other test done.

Thanks in advance,
John
No, your symptoms don't sound like herpes to me.  I rarely see herpes on the head of the penis (I have, but not often).  And usually herpes lesions change over time, they evolve, yours don't sound that way.  

I think the risks associated with your contacts have been minimal, due to using condoms regularly.  Condoms aren't perfect at preventing and STI like herpes or genital warts and they aren't good at all when they break, but it doesn't sound like that's the case with you.  But I would ask yourself - if the condom broke during an encounter, how much would you worry then and how much would your life be impacted?  From the tone of your note, I have a feeling you would be very worried.  

Terri
I will be glad if you can answer the question quickly....please help...
Hi Terri,

Thanks for your reply. There are some recent developments -
After my last sexual encounter which was on 4th May, I went to STI clinic on 14th May and got myself physically examined for spots and the doctor confirmed that it was not herpes but just allergic reaction. Even now which is 6 days after I observed first spot, they are still the same and does not hurt.

I also got tested for HIV, Hep B, Chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis on 8th May and all of them came negative.

Now to answer to your question, in my case condom was not broken in any of my sexual encounter.

I have just three follow up question -
1) Do you think that I should test for herpes? and if yes than when to test and what test would you recommend? and what is the reliability of these tests. please note that I am in Europe and not in states.

2) Do you think that I am at risk of any other STI other than herpes and should get tested again? If yes then what diseases and what tests?

3) Finally, I have bought syphilis home test kit to make sure I m not infected by it. Can you suggest me the reliability of these kits and when I can be quite sure that the results are reliable?

Thanks in advance,

John
1.  No
2.  No
3.  Where did you guy a syphilis home test?  Are you in the US?

Terri
So if I understand correctly no test for any STI including herpes. Please note that I tested after 4 days of my protected oral and vaginal sexual encounter.

I bought the syphilis test kits in Netherlands. I am not living in USA and bought from online store in Netherlands...
That's correct.  Interesting that you can acquire that test in the Netherlands for home use.  I like that!

Terri
Thanks a lot! My mind is at ease now....