Herpes Community
Risk transmission of HSV2 from single exposure

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Its been a year and 3 months since I contracted HSV2. I have been dating a girl for 3 months now, to which I havent disclosed my HSV status. Yesterday during intercourse she inserted my penis without condom in her vagina, at that moment I was overwhelmed with pleasure and couldnt think... I was inside her for about 1 minuite and 20-30 seconds, maximum 2 minuites, when I realized the huge mistake I was making and ended it. My outbreak symptoms are mild, and the day before this incident I was having a tingling feeling in my foreskin. Its been around 3 months since I havent experienced any outbreak as I am leading a very healty lifestyle: Good diet, a lot of exercise, meditation and supplementing with lysine. Back to the point, my question is what is the risk that I may have transmitted my partner with HSV2 from this single exposure of maximum, 2 minuites of duration.

Thanyou.
I would say her risk of contracting it was low,but NOT zero.  Like grace said, only time will tell.

She should be tested via blood test in 3 months just to be safe.  Therefore, you must do so.  It's your moral/ethical/even legal obligation to do so.
If you were having an outbreak, the risk would be much greater than without. Male to female transmission, without an outbreak, without a condom and without you taking suppressive therapy, is about 8-10% risk on an annual basis. If you were in fact having an outbreak, no doubt that risk is increased quite a bit - you were contagious, plain and simple.

You need to be up front and disclose your herpes status. There still is a risk of transmission and your partner needs to be aware of that.
I wasnt having an outbreak...with visible symptoms.

The tingling sensation in my foreskin I felt the day before, occurs many times,  (for 2-3 seconds, and thats it). Its viral shedding. I have been outbreak free for around 3 months.
I think there is a misunderstanding, I didnt have an outbreak when the incident ocurred and I still havent suffered an outbreak since then. I just experienced a tingling sensation in my foreskin the day before (2-3 seconds, thats it)
have you and your partner talked about you going on daily suppressive therapy to better protect her?  you can get the odds in her favor much more by doing so. lysine isn't really effective for hsv2 and we have no studies on it being effective at suppressing the virus/reducing the odds of transmission to a partner. if you are going to spend money, spend money on something proven to work!!!

only time will tell if you transmitted the virus to your partner. if you suspect you were about to have a recurrence, sex should've been avoided entirely, not just condom protected.  was your partner tested to know her own herpes status too?  

just 2-3 seconds of tingling is not herpes related.

grace
No...she still is not the love of my life and I cant disclose my HSV status, I live in a very small place, where rumours and gossips are spread at the speed of light. Dont want to appear on the headlines news. We have had a talk about stds, she has told me she is  free and has never had unprotected sex before. I want to know the risk of this exposure I am mentioning. There werent any sign or promodore symptoms.

not disclosing your hsv status to your partner is just setting yourself up for trouble. how would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot?  you've set up a relationship based on distrust.  she's trusting you to tell her if you know you have anything and you aren't even taking full precautions to protect her let alone letting her make the decision whether to have sex with you or not.  

you really need to talk to your partner about your herpes and discuss with her what precautions to take.
just want to thank everyone for forcing me to disclose my HSV status to this girl. I did so today and her reaction was a surprise for me, she said me that she loved me and also told me that it was something normal...after which I cried : tears of the pain I had carried a long time, tears for being strong and being able to tell her...thanks to everyone. I have seen that when sincerity comes forward life rewards you. Thanks everyone once again especially to "still_worried" and grace
Thats good that she took it in a good way, best of luck to you and your relationship.
Really man, congratulations for having the courage to accept the outcome. Glad it worked out for you.
Awesome!!!  I'm glad you were honest with her & very happy that she was accepting of it.

That's true love, in my opinion.  Be honest w/ her, take precautions & treat her like a princess & I'm sure you'll be just fine!  

<3
I'm glad you were able to talk about this with her finally :)  

I encourage you both to read the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com together and then discuss together what precautions to take. I highly recommend suppressive therapy to significantly reduce her risk.  also she should get tested to see what her baseline herpes status is too. odds are she's never been tested for herpes to know her status.

any questions either of you have - just ask :)