This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.
After having sex, my partner told me she has herpes (note - not a great way to start a relationship). She said she is symptom free and taking medications (nope, don't know what type). We had unprotected oral sex (giving and recieving) as well as protected vaginal sex.
Is there anything I can do to lesson the chance of infection? Can/should antiviral drugs be taken after exposure?
I don't think there's anything you can do to necessarily lessen your chances of infection since the deed is done. But, you have about 1% chance of being infected, or 99% of not being infected since she takes suppressive medication, isn't experiencing an ob, and you guys used a condom. At least this is what I gather from my research.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.