Herpes Community
Sharing a ciggarette

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Sharing a ciggarette

Friend of mine has a sore on his lip and Im not sure if its herpes or not.  Its been there for a while and its healing up now.  I shared a ciggarette w him yesterday and Im worried about the possibility of obtaining herpes if indeed he has it.  What are the chances that this occured?  I think this virus can be transmitted by what I described but I wanted to know the probability.  Please let me know as Im trying to get a grip here.

Thanks in advance.
can someone please respond to this as if herpes was present?  I read that its easy to transfer but then this site mentions low risks...please provide any type of insight you can to put my mind to rest.  Thanks.
If you read our read before posting post at the top of this forum you'll see that we are all volunteers and we ask you to give us 24 hours to respond to a post.

This is not a risk for herpes.

Have you ever been tested for herpes to know your own status? A lack of obvious symptoms is not necessarily a lack of infection.

grace
Thanks for the response Grace and I apologize for not reading and being impatient...

Just another question...since you can get herpes from kissing if the sore is active and present, then cant that saliva left from the ciggarette essentially transmit if shared under the assumption that herpes is present?

Thanks.
And yes, I have been tested before and it was negative...
No, the saliva on a cigarette isn't enough to transmit the virus.  

now if you had said you were making out with this person then yes I"d say you were at risk, as an adult sharing food, drinks or cigarettes is not a risk.

grace