Herpes Community
Shaving Irritation and herpes for women

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Shaving Irritation and herpes for women

I recently found out I had HSV2 about 9 months ago, but I realize that I've really had it for a couple of years, mistaking it for what I thought were giant sore shaving bumps, but looking back, I realize they were outbreaks and I should have seen a doctor the first time.

Anywho...the reason I always thought they were shaving bumps is because I'd rarely get them until I shaved...like a bare shave, which I rarely do because it gets really irritable down there afterwards.  Now that I know I have it...I never really thought about shaving triggering it until I realized every time I do a close shave, I get an outbreak a few days later as the hair begins to grow back and becomes very irritated.

Like I went for a couple of months, no sign of outbreak. Shaved to go to the beach, two days later...outbreak.  Same thing happened to me recently; months and no sign of outbreak, shaved close, bam!  I did one time use scissors instead of a razor and didn't get an outbreak, but this last time I went back to the razor (kinda like a test) and sure enough, 2 days later...outbreak.

Is this only me that shaving down there or very close trims causes outbreaks?

The question I have is how were you diagnoised as HSV-2?  Was it via culture or blood test?  

Shaving does irritate the skin and while it may lead to an outbreak doesn't mean what you have is always an outbreak.
I had a culture test...

And I know for sure it's an outbreak.  Blisters, swelling, soreness in the groin...

Always happens after a close shave. :(  I mean maybe it's a coincidence...but idk
Shaving can lead to an outbreak because you are irritating the skin.  Though not evening you have that may be like an outbreak is an outbreak.  Something we do commonly say.  It wouldn't hurt to be seen and have it checked out.  You may want to talk to a dermatolgoist about things that can be done to help the sensitive skin in that area when shaving.  
Have you tested positive for HSV2 ?  Can I ask where do the sores appear?  I think I am experiencing the same thing.  Does it look like ingrown hairs?  Are they clear bumbs?  Around the vagina and labia, on?  On the public area below your belly button?  Thank you
yup me too sure enough every time I shave down there 2 days later BAM an outbreak. tested this many times and it definitely triggers an outbreak. caveman style it is. scissors does not cause it though. just wanted you to know you're not crazy or alone and no 1 has the answer they just think we're crazy.
I was barely diagnosed with hsv2 and the same thing for me also it is actually how i found out i had it. I use the gillete razor it gives a close trim and alot easier and safer to use than scissors.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers