Herpes Community
Shotty Lymph node from first cold sore.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Shotty Lymph node from first cold sore.

Hello I am a 24 year old male no previous health problems.  There is a family history of cancer (Grandmother had breast and colorectal and my mother had ovarian and colorectal), but I have had no cause for concern up until about 6 months ago.  I got my first ever cold sore and one submental lymph node and my submandibular lymph node blew up.  Now the submandibular lymph node shrunk back down, but the submental one did not.  I was concerned with lymphoma because lumps just dont show up out of no where.  I went to see a doctor and she said that she couldnt feel anything and just brushed it off (unfortunately she didnt look thouroughly enough because she only felt the sides of my throat and just told me it was in my head).  Well I tried to brush it off and its been 6 months and for the past few weeks I been having horrible headaches and neck pain on the side it's on.  The node has not shrunk either but I can move it to the front of my jaw.  It could be paranoia but I guess my main question is:  Can first time cold sore sufferers/HSV1 wind up getting shotty lymph nodes, or should I go back to another doctor for a second opinion and blood test?
it would be unusual for lymph nodes to still be swollen this  long into the infection. follow up as needed with your providers.

grace
Thanks for the reply grace.  That's why I was interested in Shotty lymph nodes..While the node seems perminantly enlarged I have not suffered weight loss, fever, or night sweats which are common signs of lymphoma.  Also shotty lymph nodes I heard can occur with the initial viral infection.  I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.
many things besides cancer can cause them to remain enlarged for awhile. no reason to scare yourself into thinking you have lymphoma!!
I don't want to worry you, as my response has more to do with the cancer than anything else .. The ovarian, and colorectal cancers being in your mother and grandmother are a cause for concern without lymph nodes or cold sores being an issue.

There is a condition on lynch that causes herditary cancer and subtype two does in fact present as lymphoma. Do some research, and have your family tested!

Surprisingly more and more families are being diagnosed. My family was diagnosed last year after I was found to have colon cancer at 27. My mother had endometrial, and her father lymphoma. We were found to have a microsattelite instability in our msh2 gene.

Get tested!
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers