Herpes Community
Should I Get Retested

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Should I Get Retested

In April Of 2012 I Experienced A Painful outbreak in the genital area, all the lesion that I had we're on the inside of my vagina, it would burn sometimes when I would urinate and it also was itchy from time to time this out break lasted on and of up until early June if I not mistaken. During this time I had numerous cultures taking which all came back negative. During that time I had one of the doctors I had seen prescribe me valtrex which didn't help the situation either. I finally had a blood test done in June of 2012 and it came back negative for HSV2 but Positive for HSV 1.... I recently had another outbreak this time some of the lesion were inside the vagina and outside I went to a different doctor who actually popped one of the lesions and did a culture and also did blood work for HSV1&2.... I got the results back the other day the culture was negative but this time My Results for my blood test were both positive for HSV1&2...... I'm confused should I get retested or what I feel so ashamed and lost
I can best help you if you get the actual numeric results of your herpes blood testing to post here. All you need to post are the results - e.g. hsv1 igg 7.9 and hsv2 igg 1.2 or whatever they are. that way we can see if you were properly tested as well as see if you need any further confirmatory testing done.

recurrences with multiple lesions is unusual. Your gyn should be considering non-herpes related causes of symptoms too.  also as long as your initial ob lasted also points to something non-herpes related.

grace
Thank You so much grace for responding to my post I will have to go back to the doctors office to get a print out of the results. When I first had the my initial on and they kept testing me for herpes and the fact that is lasted so long without ever going away really in those three months they came to the conclusion that It may be something else other than herpes, I'm still undergoing testing however when I had the recent ob which started out as itching and swollen genitalia I figured I go see another Gyn I explained to her everything that I explained on here in my post and she still felt as though it was herpes and looked as so.
you can just call and ask the nurse to read them to you and write them down too.

if you can find a dermatologist in your area to work with , that is often helpful too. some even have a special interest in vulvar disease.  I'd at the very least, try to get a biopsy of symptoms the next time you have them. you and your regular gyn can just have a plan in place for the next time too.  
I will call and see if I can get the numeric results of the blood test over the phone because I had to actually make an appointment to see the Gyn just to find out whether the results were +/-.... And I'm being looked at for behcets and ulcerative colitis
yep, both can be an issue so good that they are ruling those out too.
Okay so I finally have the hsv 1 & 2 IGG Grace
Hsv 1 IGG >5.00 H
Hsv 2 IGG   2.00 H
Your IgG level for HSV-2 is in the low positive range, which you could confirm with a WB.

If you get the lesions again, you should request that they be tested by PCR, not swab, as this test is more reliable. The fact that these cultures have continuously come back negative, though, is more reason for you to seek confirmation with a Western Blot, in my (unprofessional) opinion.
So I shouldn't do another IGG for the hsv 2. Cause my first blood test for hsv2 was negative this was in june or july and this one is in the low positives.  I have a something going on in the pub area now it looks like a little scratch? Question when an ob occurs do they come in different spots or is it the same spot Everytime?
By The Way What Is A PCR?
Outbreaks don't always occur in the same place. When was the last time you had sex? If your last IgG test was more than three months after, another IgG will likely yield the same inconclusive result.

A PCR test is just a different kind of test taken from a swab. A viral culture takes the virus and attempts to grow it, while the PCR looks for pieces of the virus' DNA. It's a more accurate test.
I agree - at this point I'd go with the herpes WB. The link for getting the kit sent to your provider is in our read before posting post on the forum. Get the number for your doctor, have them get the kit sent to their office and then their lab can draw it for you and send it off for you.

be seen every time you have symptoms so that your gyn can get a better idea of what is going on. if they are stumped, perhaps a dermatologist could help you better.
Haven't been able to make it back to the doc yet but having this weird beige/ yellowish discharge does this point to anything in particular and could I be having a ob
Having this weird yellow/beige looking discharge come out my vagina a lot of it can this be an ob ?Also my nipples have been hurting for the last week or so and I'm not due for my period until next month
The first time I ever experienced a "ob" was in last April. I had sex late that march or early April either way I had numerous cultures taking between April to late June which all came back negative for hsv2. In June I had finally had blood drawn for hsv 1&2 the doctor told me I was positive for 1 and not 2. Just last month in march I noticed pain down their accompanied by lesions this time I went to another Gyn who also drew blood and the results came back positive for 1&2 igg 1 5.00 igg 2 2.00 but my culture was negative.
if you have discharge, you need to be seen again.

follow up on the confirmatory WB blood testing too.
GRACE, thank you so much for taking the time out to help answer my questions your a great help!!! Their is also something else I was curious about can an ob last for approx 1 1/2 to 2 weeks straight if its not an "Initial OB" I Haven't been able to make it back to the doc as of yet :-(
recurrences can last that long
So then it would be safe to say that I'm experiencing an OB right now.. Or at least it sounds like one With the discharge and how long it's been going on.