Herpes Community
Should I be paranoid (HSV1 transmission)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I've done a lot of reading on this site, but havent found a question like mine

Im a 20 year old male and early thursday morning at like 1 or 2 am my roommate took 2 puffs off of my black and mild, the kind with the white mouth piece. I did not see any signs of a cold sore that whole day and night. The next day I see the beginnings of a cold sore on his bottom lip towards the corner, but not in the corner. He smoked from the center of his mouth and the next day he told me that it did not touch the sore. Of course at the time I had no idea and took it back from him maybe 5-10 seconds and continued.

So, should I be worried about contracting HSV1? I know the statistics of most people already having it, but still, Im worried. What are my chances of getting cold sores?

Also, in the worst case scenario, lets say someone has an oozing sore on their lip, but takes a sip of a straw or a drag of a cig so that the sore does not touch, what are the chances of passing it?
Really low risk here.  I mean the virus just doesn't live that long outside of the body.  
Thanks for the response, but it will die in 5 seconds? It was a pretty cold night if that matters and does it matter if the cigar or straw or anything did not touch the sore? and does it matter if he didnt quite have sores popping up until the next morning?
Oral herpes in adults is transmitted via passionate type kissing.

Aside from that, realize that in your life you've already kissed people with oral herpes (including relatives, the very common way that kids get it), and that you in fact could have it yourself and not know.

But what you describe above is not a risk.
Yesterday at lunch I accidentally drank from the straw of my coworkers cup instead of my own.  Afterward I noticed he had a cold sore in the center of his lower lip.  What is the chance it was transmitted to me?