Herpes Expert Forum
Should I be worried? More questions

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Should I be worried? More questions

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Should-I-be-worried/show/1952286

I originally posted this.  Grace helped me and I felt relieved.  Then I started getting white spots on my gums and I went to the dentist but the white spots had gone away almost completely. He said it could have been from herpes or an allergic reaction and since they had gone away I shouldn't worry.  Now today I swallowed and felt a something on  my throat and looked at my mouth. I had a small red pimple like spot on the roof of my mouth and the white spots on my upper gums have reappeared.  The white spots aren't as bad as the first time.  Still no pain.  I've had hsv1 for years. I only had two really small break outs on my lower lip  and the new out break I had a week ago( my third ever) was on my upper lip. Never had it there before. It's been almost 30 days since I last had sexual contact(May 9) and still no symptoms below the belt.   The new upper lip sore appeared after on may 26.  Ten days after my blood was drawn.

1.   Can hsv-1 be causing these symtoms (symptoms) or could I have aquired hsv2 orally and be experiencing the initial  outbreak and that's why I'm getting these white spots on my gums(primary herpetic gingivostomatitis) or can they appear during any outbreak?

2.   Can someone have both hsv1 and hsv2 orally?  

3.   Could my positive hsv2 igm test be caused this outbreak hsv-1 and the hsv igm blood test confusing it?  I had my outbreak a little more than a week after my blood was drawn.
I would agree with that assessment, yes.  And I too wish your doctor had not run that test.

Terri
So I've been looking all over my mouth now because I'm so worried about this. I've noticed little small white pin sized dots the back of my mouth back on both sides where the cheek meets the throat. Still no pain.  I never looked at my mouth before so I don't know if these are normal but on the Internet it says it could anything from cancer to first stages of hiv..
1.   Can hsv-1 be causing these symtoms (symptoms) (symptoms) or could I have aquired hsv2 orally and be experiencing the initial  outbreak and that's why I'm getting these white spots on my gums(primary herpetic gingivostomatitis) or can they appear during any outbreak?

If you have had HSV 1 orally for years, then it is extremely unlikely that you would get new HSV 1 in your mouth.  It is possible to have HSV 2 orally but it isn't common.  If you are concerned, you could have the bumps swab tested for herpes while they are present.  

That is possible, but again, unlikely.  And once again, if you are concerned about this, I would recommend having the bumps swab tested by your dentist using PCR (not culture) for an accurate answer.

Who knows why IgM tests are positive.  I see so many false positive IgM tests, in my experience, far more common than real positive IgM tests due to new infection.  I would ignore it.  
Was an IgG test done as well?

Terri
HSV-1 IGM screen:             Negative
HSV-2 IGM screen:             Positive
HSV IGM Titer:                     1:20   ( reference range <1:20)

HSV-1 IGG type specific AB:    3.77H
HSV-2 IGG type specific AB:    0.03

Last sexual contact was a week prior to testing. I received unprotected oral and had protected vaginal sex. We did kiss for a couple of minutes.   I have not preformed oral on anyone this year.  From what I've read here its very unlikely to have hsv2 orally so contracting it thru kissing is probably even less likely.  

As for the while spots in my mouth they're come and go very fast. Its monday and theyre gone already. When I went to the dentist he said there wasn't anything to swab left. If the come up again ill go running to the dentist.  

I really wish my doctor had never run such a faulty igm test.  Then telling me I have hsv2 and need to follow up in 3 months for another hsv and hiv test.  Which according to the info here, I have a better chance of being struck by lightning or winning the lotto than contracting hiv from kissing 2 people and receiving  unprotected oral 2 times.
true.

Terri