Herpes Expert Forum
Should I still be concerened about HSV2

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Should I still be concerened about HSV2

Ok here we go... I have posted my concerns before and received advice from Doctor HHH as well as Grace from this site. I just wanted to get another expert opinion on my situation. At the end of July 2012, I had all of 20 seconds of unprotected intercourse with a female friend. At the time there was what appeared to be a hair bump and she said it has been there for a while; not sure what a while is. Maybe two weeks later a started feel a very slight itch and tilgle on my penis that would last less than a second. I would also get this pinching feeling at the tip of my penis from time to time. I went to my GP and tested for all STDS and all returned negative results. I realized that I didnt request a herpes test so I went on my own and had the test done. The test was type specific IGG for HSV2. I tested at weeks 6,12 and 28 post possible exposure; all returning negative results. Should I trust my results by now? By the way the last test was done on February 11,2013. My friend stated that she was tested and received a positive for HSV2, im not sure if it was a type specific test or not. Recently, i read that some people experience muscle pain, itching of the buttocks and anus. I have recently expierenced those symptoms and im scared to death. maybe five days ago I woke up with what looked like mosuqito bites around my neck that itch a little; again scared to death. I understand that stress brings about outbreaks and im pretty sure that I would have had one by now with how stressed I am. Im looking for some advice on what to do. Dr HHH told me to move on from it but its very hard to let go. Dr HHH also stated that he would have reccomended against a Herpes test to begin with. Do you think that i would have contracted this virus from such a brief exposure? Please Help I really want to put this to rest. Thanks
First of all, before deciding if I think someone might have herpes, I look at the experience that concerns them.  And I look at this way before listening to symptoms.

So your experience of 20 seconds of intercourse is very limited.  It is also unclear from your description whether she actually tested positive for HSV 2.  Test interpretation can be very tricky.  

Nothing around your neck should be considered worrisome in terms of genital herpes.  

I sometimes look at testing a bit differently.  Since only 5% of people test in that low positive range that requires confirmation by a second test, we might suggest testing a little more often for reassurance.  In your case, since you did test, and more than once besides, and all were negative, you should feel completely reassured that don't have genital herpes.  I totally agree with Dr. Handsfield and Grace.  They are both reliable sources of information on STDs and herpes.  

It is interesting that you are still worrying about this so far from the encounter!  Was this a person other than a regular sex partners for you?
This constant worry that you might have herpes, despite negative tests, is much more common than you might expect.  I have yet to figure out a way to reassure people adequately.

Terri
Yes this was someone other than regular partner. Just worried about the slight symptoms that I have. Thanks Im just trying my best to put it behind me knowing that it was a bad decision. I told my urologist that I was having slight pressure in my pelvic area and he RX a month of cipro. It seems like the more i read about different symptoms, i start to get them.
Then I would suggest an easy fix - get off the internet and quit reading about something you don't have!  Anyone can talk themselves into having most anything if they are on the internet enough!

Terri
Ok thanks Doctor. Your advice as well as others are greatly appreciated.
You're welcome

Terri
Your comment is so true, many people come on the Internet and freak themselves out over nothing and scare themselves half to death, i myself am horrible at it!  , and you don't have the "h" stop worrying , you have plenty negatives, be happy , and always protect yourself.
Thanks for your comment

Terri
Morning Doctor Warren. I have been freaking out of my mind because I have thinking about this big bump that this female had. It really looked like a hair bumb. Since she tested positive, im thinking it was indeed a herpes bump. Im so scared right now but like in my earlier post, i tested negative at 6.5 months. I have this piching feeling in tip of penis head that comes and goes. Does this bump change your opinion on my situation?