Herpes Community
Slight sting in tip of penis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Slight sting in tip of penis

I am 33 years old and have a slight stinging sensation in the tip of my penis.  It is sometimes worse than other times (but never excruciating).  I had unprotected oral sex with a girl whose own health situation I did not know.  She was also on her period and we had sex with a condom - but the condom came off at a certain point when we realized she wasn't bleeding much.  Of course I feel stupid about all of this.  I'd like to blame it on the alcohol but it is still my own fault.  Even if it turns out I'm clean, this scare will end up being a good thing.

About 10 days later, I began feeling a burning sensation in the tip of my penis.  Assuming I'd contracted something, I went to an urgent care clinic that day and had two vials of blood taken and gave a urine sample.  I said I wanted to be tested for "all STD's" ... and the doctor said "HIV too?" and I said "yes."  I was not aware until I came home and began reading about herpes that HSV is *not* always included, even if you say "all STD's."  The test results have not yet come back, 4 business days later.  I know it can take up to a week.

I told the girl about this and she acted surprised - but did tell me she's been "somewhat" sexually active since her last tests.  I would expect that if she did know she had something, she would start to ignore me.  She hasn't.  She also says she feels fine, but set an appointment to have her blood and urine tested this week.

It's now been 17 days since the sexual encounter.  What was a burning sensation on that first day (10 days after encounter) has slowly over the last few days turned into a slight stinging sensation - at other times it's more like someone is "pinching" the inside of the penis opening.  I have no bumps, I don't have that "bug bite" looking symptom I've read about.  No discharge of any kind.  I have had no fever and no pain in my legs.  

The following may be coincidence - but I've also had some slight itchiness/burning on my scrotum skin - however it should be noted that I trimmed my pubic hairs a few days before I noticed any of the other stuff.

It should probably also be noted that I was circumcised as a baby.  The "scarred" skin just under the head of the penis also had a burning sensation 10 days later - that has gone away.  It was a topical burning, not inside.  Touching it did not cause further irritation - it was just constant - as though I'd put "Ben Gay" on it.  I have felt no weird sensations on the base of my penis below the circumcision scar line.

That first few days I had a frequent urge to urinate - but when I'd go, not much came out most of the time.  I don't know if that had something to do with perhaps some nerve/sensory malfunction - my brain being told I had to pee when really I didn't.  This symptom has also died down a bit.  It has actually happened on occasion throughout my adulthood, so I don't think it's related.  

When I do urinate, it doesn't increase the stinging sensation at all.  If anything, it actually soothes the sting, then the stinging sensation returns a few minutes after urinating.  My ability to sleep is not affected by the sting.  The level of pain is not great - on a scale of 0 to 10, I'd say it ranges between .5 (point-5) and "1" - it's just that it's constant and therefore I cannot ignore it.  

I have also noticed that it is more noticeable when sitting (not so much when laying down, front or back).  If I'm up and about walking around or focused on other things, it goes away.  Or maybe that .5 to 1 level of pain isn't recognized by the conscious brain when other things are front and center on my mind.

I hope this is a urinary tract infection.  I've also read that sex with a woman while she's on her period - is about the only way a man can develop a yeast infection from a woman.  Any ideas, anyone?

most of your std testing was done too early. You can only get tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia at this point. you'll need to wait until at least 6 weeks post encounter for syphilis testing and 3 months for hiv and herpes testing.  If the gal in question shares her actual test results with you and she's negative for all of those, really no need to repeat them.  

this doesn't really sound like herpes going on.  did they also do a prostate exam on you when you were seen?

grace
I went back in yesterday (after my post here) because they said they'd lost my urine sample and needed me to resubmit it.  I also found out they did not check for HSV-2 in my blood, so I submitted a new blood sample.

Some other blood tests did come back - everything was in the proper range, except for my cholesterol.  Considering everything was in range in my blood counts, does that rule out antibodies?  I really have no idea what I can or can't rule out from blood counts.

By the time I left the doctor's office, apparently it had been enough time for them to check my new urine sample for UTI ... because the doctor said UTI came back negative from it.  Is that true, can a UTI test really be done that quickly (30 minutes)?

He gave me a shot for gonorrhea - and wrote me a prescription for chlamydia that I will pick up and take today.  Said it was four pills I take and says the shot and the pills will knock out either of those diseases if I in fact had/have them.

He did not do a prostate exam, but I will ask him to when I go back next Tuesday to see the results of the repeat urine sample and the HSV-2 blood sample test.  Thank you for suggesting it.

And thanks for the info about how long to wait for the more serious stuff!  I definitely want to be tested for everything, just for peace of mind.
you can get an uti test result back in about 1 minute actually.

it was protected sex so the antibiotics were overkill to be honest.  depending on the cause of your symptoms they might clear them up for you too.

it's far too early for herpes testing via blood from this encounter.  

definitely follow up next week if you still have symptoms.  
Well the girl I had sex with has had her results come back positive for the antibodies for Herpes2.  My symptoms have all vanished (as of 2 weeks ago), but I am now worried anyway.

My question is this:  My blood work came back with a ".04" on the line for HSV2.  It said it has to read ".90" or higher to be positive.  So I definitely had nothing before this encounter, right?  What exactly would ".04" indicate to you, Grace?

The followup question to that would be ... I know I'm supposed to wait about 2 months after the encounter for an accurate reading ... but if I went back and had blood drawn today ... and if she did give me Herpes 2 ... would my number then slowly be increasing from .04 to .90?  Would it be something like .55, showing an increase?  Or does it just ... one day ... go from the low reading to .90 or higher?
do you know her hsv2 result?

your .04 is meaningless other than being negative. because of the way they do the test, you'll never ever get a 0.
All I know is she tested positive for the antibodies - she says the doctor informed her that she had no active outbreak.  But there's still a possibility she was shedding during our encounter I think.

What would her precise result tell you?
seeing her results would help me see if she was properly tested in the first place as well as if she needs additional testing done to confirm her status.
I just asked her if she got a copy of her results or what the numbers were, and she claims she didn't get a copy because her doctor told her the results over the phone.  ???  Is that an indication that she may be lying to me?  I thought it was illegal to give out personal info like that over the phone.  

My doctors always make me come in and refuse to disclose stuff like that on the phone.
no it is not illegal to give out info like that over the phone. She can call and ask them to read them to her again and write them down. the clinic nurse can read them to her.

She says "Type 1 is 33.0 and type 2 is 8.0"  What does that tell you, Grace?  Thank you so much for all your responses!  =)
thank you and her both for getting that info.  if those were igg tests then indeed she is infected.

At this point all you can do is wait until 3 months after you had last had sex and repeat your igg blood tests then. should you get a recurrence of genital symptoms before then, follow up on them promptly.
Yes they were igg tests.  

We only had sexual contact once, of any kind.  I've read several times from some health professionals that it's "unlikely to contract herpes from a single encounter" - is that true?

And does the number "8.0" indicate to you at all that she had any recent outbreaks, or does it indicate how long she may have had the virus in her system?  Or is it just a number?

I still have had no blisters, no lymph node swelling (is it only groin-area lymph nodes or even the ones in the neck?), no fever or flu symptoms at all.  And that previous stinging sensation is still a thing of the past.
yes indeed the risk from a one time encounter is very low. it happens but the risk overall is low.

her hsv2 igg of 8 just means she is infected and has been for at least a couple of weeks. other than that, nothing you can get out of it.