Herpes Community
Slow onset Herpes Zoster

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Slow onset Herpes Zoster

My wife and I are trying to figure out and solve this issue.

Our nine year-old daughter (who has been vaccinated for chicken pox) developed shingles a few weeks ago on the T1 nerve of her spine.  We thought that when you break out with zoster, they develop, it crusts over, and you recover.  Right now, some of the scabs are crusting over while new ones are still appearing.  She is on Valtrex now.

To make matters worse, both my wife and I already had chicken pox (I had it two years ago at age 36) and we thought that we would be immune.  Nope.  Our daughter was lying in our bed and now both my wife and I have developed mild cases of chicken pox apparently from our daughter's shingles.  We feel pinpricks all over our bodies, even when there is no bump.  Plus, it is the same slow onset type--some lesions have crusted over while we are still getting new ones.  Plus, my wife is having some blurriness of vision (optic neuritis?)

This is really weird and complex.  Is this what we should be expecting or is this unusual?  Any feedback?
Did your daughter have a culture that confirmed shingles? What about you and your wife?

grace
No, there were no cultures taken for any of us.

Thank you,

Libanus93
I'd follow up on this with a dermatologist and all of you get culturing done.  Your daughter getting shingles at her age is odd enough. All 3 of you having a shingles ob at the same time really defies the odds.  This is well worth better follow up on to get better answers.

grace
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers